Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patient Education
Doctors Who Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Patient Education
As your irritable bowel syndrome IBS is diagnosed, treated and managed, you may encounter the following team of doctors and specialists.
- General Practitioners - The first line of defense in IBS. These doctors deal with prevention, discovery and treatment of illnesses in all age categories
- Internist - Focuses on diagnosis, treatment and prevention of adult illness.
- Gastroenterologist - Doctor who specializes in diagnosis and treatment of digestive system diseases.
- Psychologist - Specializes in mood and emotional disorders. This therapist offers counseling and alternative therapy like hypnosis and biofeedback to diminish the frequency of IBS attacks.
- Nutritionist/Dietician - Devises meal plans that avoid food sensitivities responsible for an increase in IB attacks and which foods are helpful in decreasing the occurrence.