Major Depressive Disorder Patient Education
Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Major Depressive Disorder
From your initial diagnosis throughout your treatment and care, you will have questions about your condition. This patient education guide list questions to discuss with your doctor so you can make informed decisions about your condition your major depression and your care.
Question About My Diagnosis
- How did I get major depression?
- What is the difference between major depression and milder forms of depression?
- What makes my condition major depression rather than mild depression?
- How long will my depression last?
Questions About My Treatment
- What type of medication is used to treat major depression? Are there side effects?
- Will I have to take medication for the rest of my life?
- How do you decide which medication or therapy is best for me?
- Should I see a therapist/counselor? Will insurance pay for therapy/counseling sessions?
- Will other medications I take interact with my depression medication?
- Are there vitamins or herbal supplements that treat depression?
Questions About My Lifestyle & Family
- Are there changes in my diet or daily activities that could help improve my mood?
- Is it true that exercise can cure depression?
- Can I take antidepressants if I am pregnant, nursing, or trying to become pregnant?
- Are there any groups for support or patient education in my area for people with depression?