Doctors Who Treat Osteoporosis – Patient Education

While there are no physicians that focus solely on the care, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis, there are specialists that diagnose and monitor osteoporosis.

Once an initial diagnosis has been made, endocrinologists and rheumatologists will rule out any underlying disease that may be contributing to osteoporosis.

When looking for a physician, it is helpful to consult with the local hospital that may have an osteoporosis clinic or center within the facility to ask for referrals.

  • Gynecologists - Concentrate on the health of the female genital system and associated conditions. They often work in the capacity of primary care doctor for women.
  • Endocrinologists -Focus on glands and hormones, which control the body’s metabolism.
  • Rheumatologists -Focus on diseases of the bones, joints, tendons and muscles. Often seen to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Geriatricians -Focus on health and disease of the aging process including those that occur in the elderly patient. Dementia and incontinence fall into this category.
  • Orthopedists -Focus on the health of the musculoskeletal system.
  • Physiatrists -Concentrate on rehabilitation therapy and physical medicine to restore the functions of the patient. They assess and treat those suffering from pain, disabilities and lack of function.
  • Family Physicians -Manage the overall health of a patient and often act as a liaison between the patient, family and other specialists. They are generally familiar with the patient, having followed both patient and his/her family over a period of time and can provide additional osteoporosis patient information to other specialists not as familiar with the patient.