Doctors Who Treat Severe Persistent Asthma

As your severe asthma is diagnosed, treated and managed, you may encounter the following doctors and specialists listed in this severe asthma patient education guide who can work in tandem as your asthma team.

  • Family Physician – Doctor with a specialty in internal medicine. This is often a patient’s primary care physician who helps in the initial diagnosis and treatment.
  • Allergist – An internist who has taken additional training as a specialist in allergy and immunology. An allergist specializes in allergies, asthma, and allergic asthma.
  • Pulmonologist – A specialist in respiratory diseases. Some pulmonologists may get additional board certification in critical-care medicine.
  • Emergency Physician – a physician who works at an emergency department to care for acutely ill patients. Patients with severe asthma may go to an emergency room when their symptoms escalate quickly and become severe.