Doctors Who Treat Stroke

As your stroke is diagnosed, treated, and managed, you may encounter the following team of doctors and specialists listed below in this stroke patient education guide.

Emergency Medicine Physician - A doctor who specializes in caring for patients with acute illnesses or injuries that require immediate medical attention, typically in the emergency department of a hospital. A person having a stroke is typically rushed to the hospital and treated by an emergency medicine physician.

Neurologist - A doctor who specializes in disorders of the brain and nervous system. Neurologists diagnose and treat patients who have had a stroke and supervise their ongoing treatment.

Neurosurgeon - A doctor who specializes in surgical treatments of the brain or nervous system. If surgery is required to treat or prevent a stroke, a neurosurgeon would perform the surgery.

Internist or Family Physician - Doctors who provide general medical care for adults. Adults who have had a stroke may also receive follow-up care and monitoring by an internist or family physician.