What types of doctors diagnose and treat allergies?

Your “regular” (primary care) doctor or pediatrician can test you or your child for allergies and help you manage any that you have.

Your doctor may also refer you to an allergy specialist for testing or other procedures. Most often, depending on whether the patient is an adult or a child, the specialist will be:

  • An allergist (also called an allergist/immunologist), who specializes in caring for people with allergies, asthma, and allergic asthma
  • A pediatric allergist (allergist/immunologist), specializing in diagnosing and treating newborns, infants, children, and teens with allergies, asthma, and other immune system problems

You may also be referred to:

  • A pulmonologist or pediatric pulmonologist, specializing in caring for people with respiratory (lung and breathing) diseases and disorders

Keep in mind, too, that internists and pediatricians are medical specialists.

  • Your primary care provider (PCP, “regular” doctor) may be an internist or pediatrician.