What types of doctors diagnose and treat asthma?

Your “regular” (primary care) doctor can often make the diagnosis and provide care that helps keep your asthma under control.

If you’re still having asthma symptoms after months of treatment, however, your doctor may refer you to an asthma specialist for additional evaluation:

  • An allergist (also called an allergist/immunologist), who specializes in caring for people with allergies, asthma, and allergic asthma
  • A pulmonologist, who specializes in caring for people with respiratory diseases

You may also be referred to:

A pulmonary rehabilitation therapist—a nurse or respiratory therapist who can provide additional support and information about healthy living with asthma