Atrial Fibrillation

5 steps to find the right doctor for you

What types of doctors diagnose and treat atrial fibrillation?

Your “regular” (primary care) doctor may diagnose and treat your atrial fibrillation. When needed—for example, to confirm the diagnosis or request a special medical procedure—he or she may refer you to a specialist.

Specialists in the care of atrial fibrillation include:

  • A cardiologist (who is also trained as an internist), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the heart, blood vessels, and circulation in adults


  • A pediatric cardiologist (if the patient is a child), specializing in the care of children and infants with heart diseases or disorders


  • A cardiothoracic (also called thoracic) surgeon, specializing in surgery on the heart and “great vessels” (the blood vessels entering and leaving the heart)


  • An electrophysiologist or pediatric electrophysiologist (if the patient is a child), a certain kind of cardiologist specializing in managing arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms) and performing and interpreting noninvasive diagnostic procedures such as electrocardiogram (ECG, EKG) tests