Blood Pressure Checks & Mgmt
5 steps to find the right doctor for you
What types of doctors diagnose and treat high blood pressure?
High blood pressure (BP) is most often diagnosed by people’s “regular” (primary care) doctors, during routine checkups, and routinely managed by them as well.
When necessary, your doctor may refer you to any of these medical specialists:
- An internist (internal medicine doctor), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders in adults
- Your primary care doctor may be an internist.
- A cardiologist, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the heart and blood vessels, usually treating people who have:
- Extremely high blood pressure
- Other serious heart problems in addition to high blood pressure
- A nephrologist, specializing in diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the kidneys and urinary system