Coronary Artery Angioplasty & Stent

5 steps to find the right doctor for you

Does a special type of doctor do coronary artery angioplasties with stent?

Coronary artery angioplasty with stent is done in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory by a heart specialist (cardiologist) trained in performing what are called invasive interventional procedures.

Interventional procedures are called “invasive” because they involve a small incision, but they are not considered surgical procedures. They include:

  • Diagnostic procedures such as coronary angiography—also called cardiac catheterization—which is used 1) to evaluate heart function and 2) to assess the need for further treatment (which may include coronary artery angioplasty with stent)
  • Nonsurgical treatments, such as coronary artery angioplasty with stent, for patients who have narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries (those that supply the heart) or congenital heart disease

The cardiologist performing the procedure is assisted by a team including:

  • Additional cardiologists
  • Nurses
  • Technicians