High Cholesterol

5 steps to find the right doctor for you

What types of doctors diagnose and treat high cholesterol?

Because cholesterol is commonly checked during routine medical checkups, your “regular” (primary care) doctor may make the diagnosis and provide care that helps:

  • Lower your cholesterol levels
  • Minimize your risk of CHD (or its effects, if you have it)

When your doctor is seeking additional information about your condition or care, he or she may refer you to one of the following medical specialists:

  • A cardiologist or pediatric cardiologist (if the patient is a child): a doctor  specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the heart and blood vessels
    • You may be referred to a cardiologist if your condition is life-threatening or if you have high-cholesterol complications or risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD).
  • A lipidologist: a doctor specializing in lipidology—fats in the blood and the ways they affect the body—and trained in working with patients to help them lower their cholesterol levels
    • You may be referred to a lipidologist for help in finding the cause of your high cholesterol or if your high-cholesterol treatment is not working as expected.