What types of doctors diagnose and treat IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

Your “regular” doctor or general practitioner may make the diagnosis and provide the care you need. When necessary, you may also be referred to a medical specialist (a doctor with advanced training) for further evaluation. These specialists include:

  • Gastroenterologists: doctors with advanced training who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases and disorders of the digestive tract
  • Pediatric gastroenterologists, doctors who specialize in caring for children and adolescents with digestive diseases and disorders
  • Internists, doctors who specialize in caring for adults and may also have advanced training in gastroenterology
    • Your primary care provider (PCP, “regular” doctor) may be an internist.