5 steps to find the right doctor for you

What types of doctors diagnose and treat migraine headaches?

When you need help for your migraines—or are concerned that your headaches may be migraines—a wide variety of medical specialists are available. They include:

  • Neurologists, who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases and disorders of the brain, nerves, spinal cord, and muscles
  • Migraine or headache specialists, who mainly or only care for people with migraines and other headaches
    • This may be an internal medicine specialist, a neurologist, a family practitioner, or other medical doctor.
    • Most headache specialists have additional training and special certification for treating headaches.
  • Obstetrician/gynecologists, who specialize in the care of women, particularly reproductive care
    • More women than men have migraines, and women’s migraines can be related to their menstrual cycles or their hormones (so-called “menstrual migraines”).
  • Pain management specialists, including neurologists, anesthesiologists, and orthopedic surgeons, who specialize in managing pain
  • Pediatricians and pediatric headache specialists, who focus on the medical care of children
    • About 9 percent of children have migraines.

Additional doctors who may be involved in caring for people with migraines include:

  • Ophthalmologists
  • Otolaryngologists
  • Allergists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Neuromuscular dentists