Ulcerative Colitis

5 steps to find the right doctor for you

What types of doctors diagnose and treat ulcerative colitis (UC)?

Doctors who specialize in caring for adult patients with UC include:

  • Gastroenterologists: doctors with advanced training who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases and disorders of the digestive tract
  • Colorectal surgeons: specializing in surgical procedures involving the rectum and colon (together, called the large intestine)

While there is no cure for UC, today’s treatments are often very effective in:

  • Reducing symptom discomfort
  • Producing symptom-free periods (remissions)

UC is one of two inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs).

  • The other IBD is Crohn’s disease, which, in contrast to UC, can occur in any part of your digestive tract, from your small intestine to your mouth.

If you think you might have Ulcerative Colitis, you should seek care as your quality of life can be dramatically impacted with today’s treatment options.