2 Ratings • 1 Comment

Caring Manner

Have you seen Dr. Timothy J Kilker?

Very Unhappy Former Patient

Was advised I required a Root Canal. Asked Kilker specifically if he did that procedure and was told "yes". Told me he would do so over 2 office visits to minimize pain post procedure. X-Ray was taken. A "hole" inside the tooth was noted that gave Kilker concern but not enough to have referred me to an Endodontist to do the Root canal or an Oral Dental Surgeon to deal with the issue. Visit #1 - just over 2 hours, that began with STRENUOUS PULLING to remove a crown on affected tooth that just wouldn't come off. Rest of visit dealt with Destroying the 4 NERVES my tooth had that he said was Most Unusual along with with filing+++ done. Told there was a Lot of Debris in the affected tooth. Visit #2- I kept appt. Kilker expressed pus from the affected tooth = INFECTION. Response: blasting me to kingdom come and back with 1 gram of Keflex/day for 5 continuous days. Completed that. Developed a 2ndary Infection from the Keflex. Had to call my Primary MD to call in something to deal with the 2ndary infection the use of the Keflex caused because Kilker shouldn't have RX'd an antibiotic in the 1st place. Visit # 3 was to have been to complete the Root Canal. Instead, Endured MORE THAN 1 hour of additional filing. Told me he wasn't OK adding the perm filing so placed a cotton thing in the hole he had to create by finally drilling thru the affected tooth at Root Canal Visit #1. I self directed to see an Endo on my own. Endo's apparently are the "experts" at handling Root Canals, a fact I was totally unaware of. She took an X-ray. Told me she needed to see my -Xray films done Prior to the Root Canal being started. Office slow to respond. Endo spoke directly with Kilker. His office finally sent the requested Xray electronically to the Endo. Office refused outright to provide same to me or my spouse to speed things up despite my willingness to sign any Release required. Met with Endo who told me Kilker's X-rays were of exceedingly Poor Quality- too dark to visualize the extent of the "hole" inside the tooth. Directed to RiteScan for dental version of a CT (no contrast used) that I had to pay full price to obtain. Reviewed with Endo who very clearly identified SIGNIFICANT Hole found inside the tooth. Informed a Root Canal very inappropriate as the Tooth was NOT SALVAGABLE and needed to be Removed. Sought opinion of Oral Dental Surgeon. Confirmed the finding, agreed Tooth could Not be saved. He also found PUS =, AGAIN, involving this same tooth. Advised NOT to use any antibiotic to treat a Dental Infection. Called my Primary who soundly concurred with this decision. Use of ABX in DENTAL INFECTIONS should Not be treated with ABX d/t risk of far more serious infection risk occurring as a result (C. Difficile for one). Tooth finally Extracted by Oral Surgeon. Showed me the tooth. Pointed out the ABSCESS found in the tooth itself. The Hole had also increased in size. I contend DDS Kilker was not the appropriate DDS to address the problem with the tooth that he himself ID' as a problem. I was subjected to 2 visits to have a Root canal done on this tooth with painful after effect that was Extremely Inappropriate. Prescribing an ABX instead of referring to an Endo immediately for an Informed Recommendation was Beyond Inappropriate and Delayed the final outcome- the tooth was Never Salvageable to begin with given what the finding was. I would have thought somewhere along the line in his experience as a Reg DDS he had to have encountered the same problem my tooth had or at the least should have been aware of the very limited treatment option for it given whatever DDS texts and/or classroom instruction provided for same. The tooth's (dental) cells were literally eating the inside of the tooth away. In my case, the problem began at the gum line than spread downward below the visible surface of the gum line. Kilker himself Did see and ID it was present at the gum line. His office X-Rays, crappy quality as they were, did reveal a dark "hole" was there. He made No Attempt to Re-Direct me to a Dental specialist far more qualified to confirm the Diagnosis and Treat appropriately. In this case, the Tooth could Not be saved. I endured 2 Root Canal attempts by Kilker even though Kilker had to have known I did NOT have a Normal presentation. This caused me undue pain and considerable Delay for me as I was left to my own devices to find an Endo and a qualified Oral Dental Surgeon to ID what was happening and to remove the tooth, the ONLY treatment option. I am out considerable $$$ out of pocket for all the DDS services I have had to have as a result of Kilker's failure to recognize the need to refer to an appropriate DDS specialist from the get go once he identified the issue with the tooth even existed. PS. A dental implant isn't covered via the type of Dental coverage I have.

Birth Control

• Similiar Dentists

Dr. Timothy J Kilker is similar to the following 4 Dentists near Long Beach, CA.