Dr. Jay W Calvert Is this you?

7 Ratings • 1 Comment

Have you seen Dr. Jay W Calvert?

Dr. Calvert Saved Me!... 5th Revision Rhinoplasty

Where do I start...at the risk of sounding melodramatic, Dr. Calvert saved me! My saga started in high school when I suffered from a very bad nose job. I then spent the next 26 years suffering aesthetically and physically from that mistake, and underwent 4 additional nose jobs, not to count all the wasted money and pain, but no one was able to make me normal again until Dr. Calvert. The first surgeon left me with a little nub of a nose that within a year, collapsed and for the next 24 years left me unable to properly breathe. I was the walking poster child for a bad nose job. So... I did my research and at the end of my college years found 1 of the 2 only guys in the US at the time performing rib graft revision rhinoplasties - one was in Houston and the other was Dr. Sheen in Santa Barbara. Dr. Sheen really felt for me and wanted to help me... however, it was the end of his career. He ended up working on me twice - he made my nose so large after the first that within 2 months, he did a revision. He used ear and rib grafts and actually left extra rib bone implanted behind my neck (something he never prepped me for) and when I asked about the big lump in my neck after the surgery, he responded that he never throws good rib away. So I carried that rib behind my neck for 10 years, until my next surgeon told me it was useless and removed/discarded it during my next surgery. In retrospect, while Dr. Sheen was a genius of his time and he did help the appearance of my nose (it looked less artificial and offensive.. For a good 2 to 3 years), it then collapsed too over time. And the breathing slowly suffered too. By the time I was a successful working professional with disposable income, I decided I would give it one more crack.. And so I was back at it,... researching and interviewing surgeons... until I found Dr. Rollin Daniel in Newport Beach. I was newly married, but still very insecure about how unnatural my nose looked and the breathing was always an issue. My husband was very supportive and attended every appointment. Dr. Daniel was never warm and lacked good bedside manners, but he gave me promise that I'd look and feel normal again. After my surgery (he too did ear and rib grafting -- both back sides of my ears are deformed from the chunks of cartilage removed and I have 2 scars on opposite sides of my body where the ribs were removed), he left gortex partially exposed in my upper right gums... and because I got pregnant soon after my surgery, and I had to wait out the pregnancy and nursing before he could remove it... so I lived with the exposed gortex in my upper gums for about a year and a half. And then I got to pay nearly $2K for the surgery center and anesthesiologist to have Dr. Daniel to remove it... . I did look a good deal better after my Dr. Daniel surgery, but within a few years... again, my nose collapsed and the breathing deteriorated rapidly. Before moving forward with Dr. Daniel, I had vowed to myself that this would be it.. one more time, I had found the best of the best and he was going to make me whole again. In my mind, it was this or never. And so even though I looked weird and unnatural again within a handful of years after the surgery, I was not going to do anything more about it. It was not meant to be and I had largely come to terms with that. Although in the back of my mind, I longed for normality. I was tired of being mistaken for Asian and being asked where I got my flat little nose from. Fast forward to after baby 3,... and now my breathing was worse than ever. While I had used Breath Right strips with my second pregnancy, I eventually regained some ability to breathe through my nose and could sleep without them. However, my nose had swollen so much during the 3rd pregnancy that it never improved, and I had no ability to breathe through my nose while exercising, and god forbid if I was out of Breath Right strips at night... it made living just so much harder. So I decided, at 41, I was going to give it one more shot... not for the look but solely for the breathing. I truly loathed the idea of going back under the knife but at 41, I figured I had another 40 years to live like this and this was no way to live. I decided I was not going to ask for much to change aesthetic wise, fearing more damage would result. I was very apprehensive and skeptical that anyone could actually help me. A friend recommended Dr. Calvert, and goddess am I soooooo lucky she did. I remember our first meeting. He asked me something not one other surgeon, none that I interviewed and none that actually performed surgery on me, had ever bothered to ask... he asked me what would make me happy - not what I wanted my nose to look like or did I bring pictures of noses I like, but what would make me happy... wow,... it was so unexpected, and it hit me so deeply that I broke down, sobbing as I muttered, "To look normal again...For my girls to look at me and see themselves." Dr. Calvert handed me tissue, and I honestly think he choked up too, and said, "We can do that." He was on a mission. We talked a lot about what that meant, the risks, best case, worst case, the breathing, which was critical to me, and more. Dr. Calvert is amazing. I absolutely adore him, as my surgeon, and respect him as a person. He's brilliant at his craft, and I say craft because we are more than patients to him. He is invested in your results more than you are almost. And when I say he delivered.... that is an understatement. Dr. Calvert hit a home run with my nose (or in his language, he did a hat trick). I look the way I should have after my first surgery. I've regained my true ethnic look but the version I wanted when I saw that butcher in high school. I LOVE my nose... I LOVE myself again... and I can breathe. The breathing is not a 100%... but my surgery was on 6/20... there is still a good deal of swelling given what Dr. Calvert had to do in there... oh yeah, what did he have to do... Well, Dr. Calvert expected it to be "neat and organized" (his words) in there given my last surgery was with Dr. Daniel, who is world renowned for rhino revisions. Dr. Calvert had estimated it would take 3 to 3.5 hours for my surgery... it took 5.5 hours! Apparently I had nothing holding my nose up... He had to rebuild everything.. this time it was rib, ear and scalp grafting. Yes, the recovery was not easy, and I hated every minute of it, from the moment I checked in.... But I am so happy I got the courage to do this one more time and even luckier to have found Dr. Calvert. I am so very grateful to him, and I truly believe he is happy for my new found happiness too. Thank you Dr. C!

Dr. Jay W Calvert is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Beverly Hills, CA.