Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Africa M Alvarez has the following 2 specialties
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Africa M Alvarez has the following 7 expertise
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
- AIDS/HIV (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- Hepatitis C
Showing 5 of 11
Dr Alvarez is to me the greatest and most admired physician in the medical field especially infectious diseases. Known for her incredible amount of knowledge and understanding just exactly how to advise her patients as to approach needed treatment with great success. One might ask how would you know my response simply "she saved my partner of going on 19 wonderful years life " making it possible to continue that enjoyment for many many more years. Thank you Dr A for being the most wonderful doctor one could be blessed to have but also a caring and loving person, I finish this review saying that referring Dr Alvarez without question is an honor.
She is such an amazing and beautiful person. You can tell by the way she talks to you that she genuinely cares about you and what you're going through. I was traumatized when we first met and she did everything she could to make sure that I would get better. She truly uplifted my spirits and reassured me that everything would turn out just fine. She shared her own stories with me about her and her family. She also even held dialogue with me about my own aspirations and passions. I admire her so much! She is honestly the epitome of what a doctor should be. Caring, knowledgeable, empathetic, optimistic, funny and so many other things.
Patients' Choice Award (2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
36 Years Experience
Universidad De Buenos Aires
Graduated in 1982
Mount Sinai School Of Medicine
Dr. Africa M Alvarez accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS GA Blue Choice PPO
- BCBS GA Blue Open Access POS
- BCBS GA BlueChoice Option POS
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & DirectionsAid Atlanta, 1605 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA
Dr. Africa M Alvarez is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Atlanta, GA.