Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- Schizophrenia Facts about schizophrenia, including the different types.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Facts about Tardive Dyskinesia, including symptoms and treatment
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Alan Jacobs has the following 1 specialty
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
My wife had episodes of vomiting green bile for 18-24 hours straight. Many hospital admissions through the ER, many doctors, imaging studies, blood tests, anti-emetic injections until they caused nerve damage, over 8 years. No luck.We saw Dr Jacobs on our first trip to Manhattan. He did not accept insurance, had no staff, and little equipment. He did not do a physical exam; we had had plenty of those, so he did not duplicate.From listening to us and asking pointed questions about her medical history, he diagnosed her as having abdomenal migraines. Prescribed Imitrex tablets, then injections if the tablets didn't work.We had never heard of such a condition (many doctors haven't either). The Imitrex worked. He also referred us to Dr Portenoy's clinic in Beth Israel on Union Park for treatment of her chronic, neurogenic pain. There we found Dr Jan Slomba, another of the very best.He changed our lives drastically for the better. He listens. He thinks. He took the time to really help us.
Dr. Jacobs is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Saint Barnabas Medical Center
41 Years Experience
New York University
Graduated in 1972
Dr. Alan Jacobs accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions159 Millburn Ave, Millburn, NJ
Dr. Alan Jacobs is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Millburn, NJ.