Get the facts about bowel incontinence, including the causes and who is most at risk of developing it.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Hepatitis C Facts about hepatitis C: the signs, symptoms and who is most at risk.
- IBS Facts about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Alastair Smith
Dr. Alastair Smith, MD, MBBS is a Doctor primarily located in Durham, NC, with another office in Durham, NC. He has 25 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology. Dr. Smith is affiliated with Duke University Hospital and Duke University Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Alastair Smith has the following 1 specialty
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Showing 5 of 83
Dr. Smith expertise and genuine concern enabled me to receive life saving care. Initially he was a second opinion for my cancer and he offered alternatives not provided by my first specialist. If I had not followed Dr. Smith's advice rather than my first specialist I am certain I would not be here to write this review. Thank you Dr. Smith!
I was a big fan of Dr. Smith. He always listened to my concerns and ideas, and was even willing to think and act outside the box a bit with my case. I started seeing him not long before my liver transplant. I was pretty sick before transplant, and he did a great job optimizing my medications which made me as comfortable as possible. After transplant (just under one year ago), I saw Dr. Smith, and I was again impressed by his skill and experience. Unfortunately, on a return visit, I was told he was no longer at Duke. The other doctors who have been involved with my case (Dr. Brady, Dr. Muir, Dr. Berg, and Dr. Choi) are all good too, but there has been no consistency in who I see on each visit.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Duke University Hospital
Duke University Hospital
25 Years Experience
University Of Aberdeen
Graduated in 1988
Locations & Directions
Dr. Alastair Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Durham, NC.