The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer, including signs, symptoms & what happens to the body in each stage of cancer.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Alfred Proto has the following 2 specialties
- Vascular Surgery
Vascular surgeons treat and manage disorders in your veins, arteries and your lymphatic system to ensure blood circulation in your heart and in brain is the best it can be. They're well-versed on how your vascular system works with the rest of your body and they can treat conditions that may cause blockages or buildup.
They can perform many of the same diagnostic testing as interventional radiologists can, such as angiography and MRIs. In addition to diagnosis, they provide critical care and treatment for aneurysms, artery blockages and trauma injuries that involve your veins. They can also help patients manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol as well as treat artery disease. Treatment for more serious cases might include bypass surgery or surgery to remove plaque.
- General Practice
A general practitioner is similar to a family practitioner in that they treat patients of all ages with a variety of health concerns. These doctors treat everyday ailments, some acute and chronic diseases, and also provid health checkups, physicals, inoculations and preventative care.
General practitioners differ from family practitioners because they are not required to complete an additional residency in family medicine after completing their medical school residency. Like family practitioners, general practitioners will also provide referrals to patients who are in need of a specialist.
Dr. Alfred Proto has the following 5 expertise
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Diabetes Complications
- Vascular Malformations
- Varicose Veins
Showing 2 of 2
My husband was admitted into St Mary's hospital with pneumonia and we found out he also had lung cancer. We met Dr. Proto and we felt confident with everything he told us. He performed a lower lobectomy and also removed lymph nodes and a some of the middle lobe. With my husband having COPD also it was all very scary. Dr. Proto had said from the beginning that Mike should be fine. Also my husband did not want any narcotics for pain so it made it a little more challenging for the doctor. During the surgery the doctor gave him a chest block which would last about 30days to help with the pain. Also afterwards he had a epidural. After I think the 4th day the chest tube was removed and so was the epidural. He was able to handle the pain with just some Tylenol. The surgery was on June 19 and he did have a few setbacks but is now doing well. We also learned after the surgery that the tumor had grown since he had the petscan and where some doctors would have just given up and said too big for surgery, Dr. Proto did it. My husband is getting better and stronger everyday. He owes his life to Dr. Proto. Words are not enough. If you are looking for a great surgeon and if you are not looking for long term pain meds, go see this surgeon at St. Mary's Hospital. Thank you Dr. Proto for saving my husband.
- Universidad Autonoma De Guadalajara
St Lukes Hospital (Bethlehem Pa)
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsALFOND CENTER FOR HEALTH, 35 Medical Center Pkwy, Augusta, ME
Dr. Alfred Proto is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Augusta, ME.