Dr. Algis Baliunas Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Algis Baliunas?

Best in ER Medicine IMO

Posted on July 21st, 2015

This had been the second trip to Memorial Hospital in a week. My young-adult daughter had been very sick, fever above 101°, sore/painful throat, severe headache and neck pain, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, and it had been going on for 10 days with no relief. During her first trip, she had a lumbar puncture to rule out meningitis, a strep swab, a head CT, labs and a culture, and everything came back negative, so she was sent home with a prescription for migraine medicine and an anti-nausea and diagnosed as a virus. This was on a Monday, after having been very sick all weekend long. Finally, with no relief and unable to eat or drink and a 2nd negative strep, we headed back to the ER. Dr. Baliunas saw her within 5 minutes of being brought back in a very busy ER, started her with IV fluids, IV pain medication, labs, a neck CT, an IV steroid, and tested for mono. He was very pleasant, professional and genuinely concerned with my daughter's condition. He kept us informed with each new result, and finally consulted with the ENT on call. It was decided that he would give her an IV anti-nausea and if she could keep about 6 ounces of water down, she could be discharged, but if she couldn't, she would be admitted. The first anti-nausea didn't work, so he tried a second/different one and she was able to keep the water down. He had an ENT appt made for her the following Monday. She was discharged feeling better than she had in almost 2 weeks. He sent her home with an antibiotic, an anti-nausea, and a steroid. Come to find out, she had lingual tonsillitis, something uncommon on a person whose had a tonsillectomy. Even though the proper diagnosis had not been determined in the ER, Dr. Baliunas had treated her correctly, and was so very pleasant, attentive and explained everything so well. He answered all our questions, and never once gave the impression that he was in a hurry. I would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you Dr. Baliunas!

Posted on January 21st, 2015

He was the best doctor I have ever had. He was very educational

Excellent ER doc

Posted on October 13th, 2009

Dr. Baliunas treated me for fairly severe glass lacerations on both hands a month or so ago. I came in in a fair state of panic, blood gushing from both hands... the nurses got some gauze on me til the doctor could see me. He stitched me up nicely, was very pleasant and encouraging. When my blood pressure dived and I almost passed out in a reaction to the pain, he had nurses cooling me off and giving me water, and explained calmly what had happen, that he'd been expecting it, and that everything was OK. He explained some of what had happened inside my hands and gave a bit of an explanation of what would happen as it healed and what would probably happen when I visited the hand surgeon to reconnect the tendons and nerve. My right hand, which didn't need further surgery, is healing nicely; the left will be a bit, but the surgeon did comment that the ER doc did a good job on the stitches. So... if you end up in the ER and Dr. Baliunas treats you -- you're in good hands. :)

Posted on January 20th, 2017