Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Ali F Aboufares
Dr. Ali F Aboufares, MD is a Doctor primarily located in New York, NY, with another office in New York, NY. He has 22 years of experience. His specialties include Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine and Cardiology. Dr. Aboufares has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Ali F Aboufares has the following 3 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
Dr. Ali F Aboufares has the following 6 expertise
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Unstable Angina
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Heart Block
- Cardiovascular Disease
Dr. Ali F Aboufares is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
My general practitioner sent me to the hospital Dr. Aboufares was working at with a clear directive to seek his help when my heart rate was extremely high and I knew something was off. Upon my arrival, using his name was the best thing that could've happened. The hospital ER staff admitted me rapidly. I received first class treatment throughout my sudden stay. That included prompt, thorough and accurate diagnosis. My "silent" heart attack become evident to them as well as significant arterial disease. I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks. Dr. Aboufares' provided superb professional care, including full explanations of my condition and the recommended procedures (to myself and my family.) Dr. Aboufares was patient with my many queries. His referral to the cardiac surgeon was also excellent. Dr. Aboufares also has a caring, calming, encouraging and informative manner. That combination of great skill, concern and compassion is rare. I am blessed to have been referred to him. I continue to trust his judgement as we do follow-up procedures because he is my medical specialist and advocate. My daughter who lives across the country even feels confident when he advises and works on improving my condition when she is unable to be there. Leah and the rest of the staff are very warm, professional and efficient. They even assisted my daughter with getting a predictive CRP reactive test to determine her heart disease risk. We highly recommend Dr. Aboufares to those wish both full information (about their condition(s) and options) and expert cardiological treatment.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
22 Years Experience
American University Of Beirut
Graduated in 1996
Dr. Ali F Aboufares accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- First Health PPO
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Ali F Aboufares in this video.
Dr. Ali F Aboufares is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.