Dr. Alison M Mitchell Is this you?

3.4

Have you seen Dr. Alison M Mitchell?

Kind and Patient!

We always have a positive experience.

Unable to master cancer lump 101

I came to visit this Dr after having noticed an unusual lump in my breast. It was hard and irregularly shaped and fairly small. Naturally I was concerned about cancer. Having felt many lumps in my career I knew this was not a good lump. I requested a mammogram. Dr Mitchell did a brief exam and stated she felt it was fibrous tissue but would schedule a regular mammogram, but not a different kind because that was 'a different code'. why she was talking about codes to me remains a mystery. As it turned out, I did have breast cancer. Which I knew, from the shape and texture of the lump. What I don't know is how the Dr couldn't tell a fibrous mass from a carcinoma. After my second mammogram (the second kind she was talking about), an ultrasound and biopsy, I went in to see her for the results. You have cancer she said. Yes, and? I replied, expecting a walk through of the type, what this meant in the grand scheme of cancer and what I could expect. No, she said, you don't understand, You have Cancer! Yes, I said, elaborate on that. She repeated, you have cancer. What kind of cancer? I wanted to know. She said she didn't know, she did not have that information. Well, I said, the biopsy was done, surely it says the kind of cancer. No, they won't know that until after they do chemo, a mastectomy and radiation. Wha? Give me the pathology report, I said, it should have the type of cancer in it. Sure enough it did. Why was this Dr unable to differentiate between a fibrous mass and a cancerous mass? Does she have so little experience or is just very bad at it? Why was her dissemination of the test results to me so difficult? I came out of this exchange angry and with no confidence in this woman's abilities and felt condescended to. Her manner of telling me I had cancer was unacceptable. Boo, bad form Dr, learn some bedside manner techniques, go back to review your lumps!

Basic

Dr. Mitchell provides basic coverage. If you have a special need she often tells you to live with it.

The best dr. I've had

Dr Mitchell spends time with me,cares,treats me with respect. I have known her for about 8 yrs ,and I'm glad when she moved to providence med. center,I was able to still see her. Much better staff,easier appointments, and the rest of the staff are good although I don' know them as well yet. Thanks to dr Mitchell, I' m doing better and I'm telling my mom to go see her,because she really cares.