Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Amitabha Karmakar has the following 2 specialties
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Amitabha Karmakar has the following 11 expertise
- Angiographic Visualization
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Chest Infection
- Sleep Apnea (Sleep Apnea Syndromes)
Dr. Amitabha Karmakar has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 5
Dr. Karmakar is fantastic! He promises to find out why a person is having problems, orders all of the necessary tests and refers out, if necessary! He also made sure to have me come back for a follow-up, and I really really like him! The best doctor I have ever seen for pulmonary problems! I am so glad Dr. Lu referred me to him! He made me feel comfortable and explained everything in detail to me and my husband! Awesome doctor! I sure do recommend him to anyone who needs the answer to their lung problems! Great doctor experience! Mary
Could be knowledgable, be doesn't seem to want to pass all patient information on. My primary gave me insight into a report and couldn't believe that he didn't tell me about a condition that showed up on a scan. He walks off as if he's in a bad mood half the time and doesn't finish answering questions. I haven't been able to get a follow-up appt. Every time I am scheduled, I wait 2 months to go in and then they cancel at the last minute. They don't return calls. ( the call center will but not the person you need for the specific doctor.) He needs a better relationship with the patient.
Dr. Karmakar is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
34 Years Experience
Dhaka Medical College
Graduated in 1984
Tucson Hsps M Educ Prog Inc
Dr. Amitabha Karmakar accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsPulmonary Medicine Consultants, 6403 Coyle Ave Ste 450, Carmichael, CA
Dr. Amitabha Karmakar is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Carmichael, CA.