Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Andrea J Waxman has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Mood Disorders
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
What can you say about a doctor that after suffering for 34 years with Bipolar Disorder, was the ONLY psychiatrist that took the time and had the patience to play her hunch that clinical depression wasn't the real diagnosis for me. Since then she has helped me to stabilize my disorder and help me come to grips with what my future will be like. Perhaps her best trait is the lack of a rigid dogma. She works with me, not me for her. She encourages my participation in my own treatment. Add to that, in my worst times, she has NEVER pushed me out the door to keep on some schedule. Psychiatric patients have different needs and she is excellent at tailoring resources to help me. She knows doctor patient boundaries, but she also knows that her patients aren't robots. She has handled my case with skill and caring and as previously stated, our interaction is more akin to a relaxed partnership. If I have ideas, they are not dismissed out of hand, but rather examined, discussed and a consensus is built for my treatment plan. Wish I had the 35 years with incorrect treatment and diagnosis back, but she has given me the last ten and for that I am grateful.
27 Years Experience
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1991
Good Samaritan Medical Center
Dr. Andrea J Waxman accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of AZ
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Whole Health Banner Health Network HMO
- BCBS AZ Alliance Network
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana National POS
- Humana Phoenix HMOx
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Andrea J Waxman in this video.
Dr. Andrea J Waxman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Phoenix, AZ.