Dr. Andrew J Cottingham III Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Andrew J Cottingham III?

Dr. Cottingham was very kind during the consultation, but the follow up is absurd. The Doctor and his nurse both assured me that I would be scheduled for steroid injections within two weeks. However, his office staff refused to file the insurance paperwork. The office staff is terribly rude and condescending. My arm is going numb waiting on his staff to do their job.

Sad to have to find another pain doctor

Dr. Cottingham is great. But dealing with his employees Mary C (she refused to give her whole name) and Shannon becomes unbearable. They are rude & demanding, making patients see nurse practitioners instead of the physician...cancelling my appt at the last minute so they could "rearrange things." Threatening to put in my file I did not want to see a Dr who utilizes Nurse Practicioners. Wow. This is the gratitude I get after being a patient for many years? These 2 staff members, in short, are completely horrible!

Still in Pain

Here's the FIRST letter I sent to him two months after my epidural and nobody ever responded. The only time they contacted me was to tell me I couldn't make another appointment until I paid my bills, which, by the way, were never sent to me as you will see. WOW!!!! Be sure to read the second letter, too. August 4, 2017 Andrew Cottingham, MD Pain Management and Regenerative Medicine 800 W. Arbrook Blvd., #100 Arlington, TX 76015 Dear Dr. Cottingham, I came to see you on May 12, 2017, because of severe neck and shoulder pain (and received an extraordinarily impressive bill for around 1 hour of your time I might add). You suggested giving me an epidural. Papers were filed with my insurance, the procedure was approved three weeks later, and was scheduled after many phone calls to your office during the last of which I literally had to beg someone to help me. You performed the epidural on June 5, 2017, at USMD Hospital at Arlington. During our discussion that day, you suggested “stacking” a second epidural as soon as possible, and that insurance would be contacted. On June 16, I saw your P.A. for follow up (a visit for which I see on my insurance statement another extraordinarily impressive amount for ~15 minutes of a P.A.’s time) during which I learned only one thing of value and that was that the procedure could be done in your office and would eliminate the hospital charges* (See Table 1 below). I did mention the “stacking” idea during the visit and thought that it might have been followed up on, but as of today, I have heard nothing. The next contact I had from your office was a voicemail on July 11 from Chesley (sp) about a referral from my PCP (I have subsequently found out it was made by one of his office staff and not authorized by him). I called Chesley (sp) back, and she told me that she could not make any appointments until I had paid my bills. I immediately compared the statements I had received to my bank statement on line to look for the payments in question and found the first check for $497.69 had been written on June 17 and cashed on June 23. The second statement for $207.90 was dated July 5, and I told her payment was on the way as I had just received the bill, You received payment on July 13. She said she would have to check with billing. I never heard back from her, either. It appears there is some miscommunication at your office between billing and collections. Every bill I received I promptly paid. I have received no further statements from your office, past due included. The irony doesn’t escape me: I can’t make another appointment until I pay my bills, but I can’t pay my bills unless I receive a statement. This experience has proven true, once again, lessons I learned many years ago that a) most people don’t care and are, therefore, incompetent at their jobs and b) money is the bottom line for everything. It would be nice to just feel as if someone gave a d*mn about me considering the cost, in both time and money, of a procedure that is giving me only a minimum amount of relief, if going from excruciating to agonizing pain counts! Table 1 (according to my file records, bank statement and BCBS) Date of Service Facility/Group Billed Amount My Part 12 May 17 US Anesthesia Partners $1,248.83 $497.69 (paid) 05 Jun 17 US Anesthesia Partners $1,666.00 $207.90 (paid) 05 Jun 17 USMD Hosp at Arlington $5,335.85 *$1,318.00 (paid) 05 Jun 17 US Anesthesia Partners $2,837.00 $409.73** 16 Jun 17 Us Anesthesia Partners $557.33 $218.81** TOTALS $11,087.68 $2,652.13 ** No statement(s) received. If so, they would be paid and put with the others in my IRS folder for tax deductions. So, where do we go from here? Still waiting, Catherine Tone P.S. It’s funny, I began this letter to complain that nobody had contacted me about a second epidural. It turns out I spent the 2.5 hours both writing and discovering that you have not billed me. THEN I SENT A SECOND LETTER WITH ATTACHMENTS AFTER THEY FIGURED OUT THEY HAD NOT BILLED ME AND SENT ME INCORRECT STATEMENTS. August 8, 2017 Andrew Cottingham, MD Pain Management and Regenerative Medicine 800 W. Arbrook Blvd., #100 Arlington, TX 76015 Dear Dr. Cottingham, The very day (Friday, August 4, 2017) I mailed the attached letter to you (Attachment A), I received two statements from USAP. I would like to clarify a few items. According to INV #2646680 CRAWFORD CRNA, KEVIN A, this $207.90 is 31-60 days past due (Attachment B). However, I received the statement for this charge around July 9 or 10 (Attachment C) and according to my bank statement, an electronic payment was sent on July 13 (Attachment D) and received by you on July 14 (Attachment E). So, please update my record to reflect that this was paid on time and is not past due. According to INV #2631129 COTTINGHAM MD, ANDREW, the $207.90 I paid for Invoice #2646680 above was incorrectly applied to this charge (Attachment E). As I stated in my August 4 letter (Attachment A), I had not received a statement for INV #2631129 [$409.73, which is 207.90 + $201.83 and corresponds with my insurance statement) or INV #2686323 ($218.81) (Attachment E). The only reason I figured this out for the August 4 letter was by checking on line with BCBS after my initial and only conversation with Chesley (sp?) when she said, “You can’t make another appointment until you pay your bills.” (The level of compassion is astounding!) Because this statement is not past due with a billing date of 08/02/2017, I guess Chesley (sp?) or someone figured out the billing somewhat, except for the erroneous application of my $207.90 payment. How hard is it to match up invoice amounts with payment amounts? Also, to reiterate from my August 4 letter, each bill I received, I promptly paid, just as I am doing today (in a separate envelope so the payment goes to the right place). The problem is not with me, but with your billing department. That being the case, I hope that writing one check for both statements doesn’t confuse anyone too much. So, now that we have the billing straight, it is now more than two months after my first epidural, and I am still waiting to hear about the possibility of a second epidural that I understood needed to be done as close as possible to the first one. I’m not sure how that works more than two months on. Painfully yours, Catherine Tone Account #3-51210007 P.S. I apologize for the delay in payment from the time I received these invoices to today, but it took me some time in between enjoying my weekend and my employment to figure out the billing errors and compose this letter of clarification.

Patient

I can not imagine anyone saying anything negative about Dr. Cottingham or staff that have always shown compassion, caring and most of all patient. Dr. Cottingham is the best pain management Doctor in my book always welling to listen, explain and never trying to make decisions for the patient. I have experienced back surgery with several medical issues after surgery with a surgeon that showed no compassion and Dr. Cottingham is now trying to help me get back to my life of no pain. FYI Dr. Cottingham did not refer me to my surgeon. I believe God placed Dr. Cottingham in my path.

Listens to me

Doctor Cottingham will take as long as needed to help me each and every time I visit. He is the only doctor that doesn't blow me off or ignore questions. He listens well and tries his best to explain. I would rather wait for him than see someone who is only interested in breezing in and out of the room so they can see as many patients as possible. I at least know what is going on when I go to him, plus his treatments seem to work. Other places I have been try all kinds of procedures, they don't work and then the doctor pushes you away somewhere else. I suspect anyone bitter with this office most likely has never seen a doctor recently, or has do been doing sometime questionable and got caught.

If you would like to wait over an hour, deal with a sarcastic and non caring doctor, and constantly having to call them to correct your bill then bingo, this is your doctor. Otherwise stay clear.

Dr. Cottinghams bedside manner is great and he also listened to me!!

He is good, but his staff is not. It is so difficult to get medical record and asking for help when needed.

Excellent Doctor!

Dr. Cottingham has been the only physician who has been able to make me feel like we are finally going to be able to help my shoulder. He has been understanding of my frustration, spends a great deal of time going over details and is extremely careful.

Concider other doctors for care

The doctor is a good doctor that has surrounded himself with a less than stellar staff. They have a nurse hacktitioner that doesn't understand or thinks that she is beyond listening to problems encountered from "her" care. The doctor himself admitted that she had sub-dosed me for close to 6 months, which caused me uncalled for suffering. Fact is that he is responsible for reviewing what his NP is doing. I question whether he has a close eye on what is happening in his office, as this was allowed to happen. Sue, is the receptionist and is the most caring person I encountered at this office. I personally question the training of the medical support staff that I came in contact with, who bumbled things more often than not. The reliability of re-fills is not good...of course there are a lot of excuses for their dropping the "ball" on numerous events. Trying to get hold of the doctor himself is not easy at all and it seems to me that too many people who are not skilled enough treating patients are put in place to keep a patient from talking with the doctor himself. I pray that no one else has to endure what I had to.

new patient..changed pain doctor

first..wait time was long b/c of "emergency"..I have been patient on both sides of these times so ok ! Dr C was so kind,compassionate, lots of patience w/me. I was changing doctors for unprofessional reasons so was very nervous. But he understood. Never qustioned me,I have had long standing serious issues w/pain,implants & more. Highly recommend.

Comment on the Post 'WORSE OFFICE STAFF EVER IN LIFE!'

I have been in Dr. Cottingham's office on numerous occassions, and have found the office staff and the Dr. to ALWAYS be polite, and treat me with respect.I was in Dr. Cottingham's office the day that the lady that wrote the 'WORSE OFFICE STAFF EVER IN LIFE!' post was. The REAL story of what happened that day is that she came in the office late for her appointment (even by her own admission that day), and didn't bring the paperwork that they sent her via mail to fill out prior to her appointment. The receptionist greeted her and was very nice. She asked her if she had her paperwork, and the lady said no. So, the receptionist gave her a clip board with the needed paperwork for her to fill out. She sat down and began filling it out. The receptionist called her name to come up to the counter and she informed her that she wouldn't be able to see the doctor that day, because with her being late, there was no time. He was due at the hospital, but they could resechedule her, and take her paperwork for her when she completed it, so she wouldn't have to worry about it the next visit. The lady became livid, and started yelling at the receptionist, saying "my doctor's office warned me about this" (which I do not believe her doctor told her anything about Dr. Cottinham's staff because that's unethical). The receptionist remained calm and was still being polite to her, even though she was not showing her the same respect. The receptionist asked if she could excuse her for 1 minute, and went and got the Office Manager to explain to the lady that Dr. Cottingham cannot change the time that he was due at the hospital, and they would be more than happy to work with her on another appointment. She was having none of it. She refused to reschedule, and just kept ranting, and finally left. Bottom line is that Dr. Cottingham's staff is wonderful! They've always been so friendly and courteous to me, and I've witnessed time and time again them treating other patients the same way they treated me. They make you feel like your important, and not 'just ANOTHER patient'.