Dr. Anthony D Caffarelli Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Anthony D Caffarelli?

Bladder Cancer

Bladder Cancer

Your bladder is the hollow, muscular organ in your lower belly where urine is stored. When you urinate, the muscles of your bladder contract and push urine out through a tube called the urethra. Bladder cancer starts when cells in the bladder start to grow out of control. These cells can form into a bladder tumor. They can also spread outside your bladder to lymph nodes and to structures far from the bladder, like your bones, lungs or liver. This is known as metastasis.

Please Use Caution

The following information is only being provided so that you can do your own due diligence with this surgeon. If we truly had no issues with this surgeon, we would not be submitting this type of review. Moreover, this information is not intended to provide an insight into the type of surgeon or person that Dr. Caffarelli is. Thats for you to decide. Having said that, my family and I did not have a good experience or outcome with this surgeon and thus we cannot recommend him at all. A close family member needed an aortic valve replacement and had Dr. Caffarelli just stuck with that our loved one would still be alive and we wouldn't need to write this review. Instead, Dr. Cafarelli decided at the last minute to add on a completely unnecessary, very risky procedure called septal myectomy. He provided very vague information about the procedure and we learned after the fact that he himself has very little experience with septal myectomy. Not surprisingly, he botched the procedure and in trying to fix his mistake he also cut a chord of the tricuspid valve and had to repair that as well. It seems that he was so in over his head in the O.R. with his mistakes that he had to call in another surgeon. Unfortunately, due to all the mistakes and extended surgery time, our loved one left the O.R. in poor condition which would continue to deteriorate in the ICU and eventually led to death. To this day, we struggle to understand why Dr. Caffarelli would chose to perform a very high risk procedure that he has limited experience with at the last minute in an attempt to fix an issue that he himself estimates was only 5% of our loved ones problem! His explanation was, "I was just trying to be perfect as a surgeon" We intrerpret this as pure ego. Mo matter what Dr. Caffarelli tells you about this case, before, during or after, surgery, nothing can take away from the fact that he botched a surgical procedure that he has limited experience with and that didn't need to be done and this directly resulted in the poor condition of our loved one, post surgery. Also, after the fact , in speaking to a cardiologist we use, that our cardiologist never refers patients to Dr. Caffarelli or the Raney Zusman Group and he felt this way before he learned about what Dr. Caffarelli did to our loved one. The response from Hoag lacked any sympathy and was pathetic at best, but finally after a year of trying to get more answers, they did send us a letter that following their own "internal investigation" they came to the conclusion that there "there may be opportunities for improving care" and that Dr. Caffarelli was up for peer review. Naturally, we are in no position to tell you what surgeon you can use and if you are working with Dr. Caffarelli or considering it, the only advice we can give based upon our experience is, please don’t let this guy fool you. Ask a lot of questions, challenge him and absolutely get a second opinion. Don’t let his ego take unnecessary risks with you the way we believe he did with our loved one. A cardiac surgeon that reviewed this case, told us, “being a good cardiac surgeon is not just knowing what to do but what also knowing what NOT to do”. Something that, we hope for your sake, Dr. Caffarelli has has learned by now. Please use caution.

Dr. Cafarelli saved my life

I was diagnosed with a large aortic aneurysm and after much research and prayer, decided upon Dr. Cafarelli as my surgeon even though I live about 75 minutes away in light traffic. I consulted with him after other surgeons had told me to wait several months to have my aneurysm measured again, and I showed him studies that indicated I should have surgery right away. He agreed with me, giving me the critieria I met, but also cautioned me about the risks. I felt that he was being completely honest with me and I also really liked his confidence in his own ability. I had my surgery eight weeks ago and I'm doing amazingly well. My surgery went perfectly and was only about four hours! I have recovered all of my previous strength and am back to painting my kitchen cabinets, which I had been working on prior to surgery. Every healthcare professional I interacted with at the hospital told me "Dr. Cafarelli is the BEST!", which was super reassuring before and after surgery. I didn't realize at the time that my four week checkup would be the only chance to thank him. because after that point, my followup has been with my cardiologist. I'll have to write to him to express my gratitude. My chest incision is thin and has healed very nicely, and my heartbeat is now regular and strong. At six weeks out, the mild pain in my chest was all but gone, and I felt really good again. I am so thankful to have found Dr. Cafarelli and for my successful surgery and recovery. The staff at Hoag Hospital was wonderful---I couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Please Use Caution

This review is being created so you can do your due diligence with this surgeon. Having said that we cannot recommend this physician. Our loved one did not survive her operation with Dr. Caffarelli because he decided at the last minute to add a completely unnecessary procedure that he has very little experience with. He botched that procedure among other surgical errors which directly led to the death of our loved one. Though Hoag could care less about this death, they did send us a letter from their own " investigation" that there were opportunities for improving care in this case and that Dr. Caffarelli was being considered for peer review for his actions. To this day we struggle with why Dr. Caffarelli felt the need to add on a completely unnecesary and very risky procedure to try to correct an issue that he himself estimated was only 5% of our loved ones issues. His answer was, "I was trying to be perfect as a surgeon". We interpret this is as pure ego!! A cardiothoracic surgeon that reviewed our case and expressed concern over Dr. Caffarelli's actions told us..."being a good cardiac surgeon is not just knowing what to do but also what NOT to do" We hope for your sake that Dr. Caffarelli has learned this by now. Again, please use caution and don't let his ego dictate your surgery.

Expert among experts

He is very knowledgable and is an expert among experts. Good personality and good follow through. So thankful I was referred to him.

Role model doctor for skill and bedside manners

Brilliant and reknown surgeon with incredibly kind and thoughtful bedside manners. Patiently provides detailed explanations with a calm and reassuring demeanor. Due to emergency nature of surgery, I did not hand select this doctor, but I feel that a greater power was looking out for me by having this doctor conduct my surgery. What a blessing! All doctors should learn from Dr. Cafarelli on how he treats patients with dignity and care.

Dr. Anthony D Caffarelli is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Ontario, CA.