Have you seen Dr. Arthur L Smith III?

Not Your Typical Psychiatrist

I have been seeing Dr. Smith regularly for over a year now and I can honestly say he has saved my life. I began seeing him after a traumatic experience after which I was highly over medicated by my PCP at the time. Under the PCP’s care, I lost my zest for life and gained a considerate amount of weight. My family and friends were concerned. I began seeing Dr. Smith and he immediately helped me ween off the majority of the dangerous, addictive medications. I am now on a conservative med plan and my life is back on track. I’ll admit, I’ve seen many Psychiatrists in the past and have found them to be way too eccentric and just plain weird. Dr. Smith is clearly educated and very professional. He provides talk therapy and gives you a unique insight regarding the problems at hand and creative, unique solutions to solve them or at least deal. I have a lot of respect for Dr. Smith and am thankful to have found him when I did. I will mention one issue - the cancellation policy. The office calls you 24 hours before your appointment and if you need to cancel for any reason (life happens) and do so during the appointment confirmation, you are still charged the $180 (in my case) office fee. I feel there would be better client satisfaction if the appointment confirmation call was 48 hours in advance so if you need to cancel, you can do so then. The staff is great as well!

I have had nothing but great experiences with Dr. Smith. He gives great advice and insight on things you are going through. I am always at ease and never feel rushed. I recommend him to everyone.

I have visited Dr Smith 3 times.All 3 time have been very positive.He listens and gives really good input. I give him a 5 star rating ,would recommend.

Doctor's Response

Thanks! It's nice to know that what we do matters!!

A most intriguing psychiatrist!

I wanted to give a huge thank you to LadyO who wrote a review in 2010 describing Dr. Smith as “using a different approach” and “not your typical psychiatrist”. After reading that review I took a chance and went to see him. How right you were! I believe the reason why he is so different is because he honestly loves helping people. I can’t count the number of times he has said “the nicest people walk through my door”. He adores what he does, which is clearly evident the more you talk to him. He treats people like the emotionally, spiritually, and physically complicated human beings we are, and not an aggregate bunch of symptoms. He is a straight shooter, an excellent educator, and occasionally throws in bits of wit and charm. To sum it up, Dr. Smith is an intriguing psychiatrist, psychologist, and philosopher rolled into one. He is a huge credit to his profession! I highly recommend him to anyone looking for real help and not just medication management.

Doctor's Response

Thank you. This is indeed what I strive for, and experiences like yours make it a pleasure and rewarding to be a doctor and psychiatrist.

Do any good psychiatrists exist?

You can do better. I forgot my medication on a trip, and it felt like I was an imposition to him when I had to call to get a few added for the trip. Additionally, make sure you can make your appointment as he has 0 tolerance for any cancellations within a 48 hour window.

Doctor's Response

Unfortunately she called on a Saturday afternoon and didn't leave enough info (medication dosage) for me to quickly fill the Rx from halfway across the country. Coincidentally, 5 other patients also called that afternoon and also wanted refills. I tracked down her dosage and called it to Texas. Yes, we have a cancellation policy so people will keep the longer-than-average appointments we hold for them.

he does not care for people. he cares for the dollarr

Debbie P.

The first time there i was scared but Dr. Smith made me feel comfortable and that I and he would work together and I had control over what we were working on. The second time boom he hit the nail right on the head of what I had been feeling and couldn't admit to myself or anyone else. No Psy. I have seen over the years has ever done that. He is excellent. I hope and pray He manages my medication as well as he is helping me, but I feel sure He will. He was excellent.

Awesome

I have only seen him once and he is awesome. I had previously spent ALOT of time with another therapist and, I swear, I learned more in one session with Dr. Smith than I have in the last six months with the other therapist. He had no fear in communicating truths to me and was very methodical and structured in his approach which I really appreciate. Expensive but worth every penny.

Best MD

Top-notch doctor easy to talk to

Dr.Smith is warm, kind and passionate man yet shoots straight from the hip~ Highly Recommend him~

Arranging for an appointment was very easy. Fast scheduling dates. The staff are all very sweet~polite and caring.Dr. Smith is Board certified in both Psychiatry and Neurology which I find most impressive. He is very easy to talk to and his approach,to me at least, was not the traditional, you talk he listensNot that that does not occur, however, after a few sessions, he interacts with you in a very positive, informative approach. He's a straight shooter, no sugar coating,however,the most wonderful things occurs, and that is, no matter what is going on in your life that may have brought you to his office, the focus is on YOU and he has a wonderful manner in which he is able to get you to your own bottom lines, and as negative as things may be, he always, at least for me, has a positive to go with it,and what I find so amazing is that unlike "therapy" you don't walk out feeling depressed, you don't walk out feeling down~What you do feel is a sense of accomplishment as again, for me, he ends every visit with, "And the silver lining is .........."and there is always something that follows that.I wish I could write a better description of why he is so different and how his hole approach is different, it just is. And for any of you that have gone to a Psychiatrist or Psycologist before, and come home feeling low, depressed,or suffer a little anxiety when rethinking the days talk and wondering if this is really doing any good or are you feeling worse, I tell you, if you listen to what Dr.Smith has to say, and allow him into your inner most thoughts, you won't walk away with those low, depressed feelings, you will walk away satisfied that that was an hour well spent, both in time and money and you won't have that "till the next time" cliff hanger feeling. You will walk away with a sense of learning something new and achieving an accomplishment,no matter how large or small, but most importantly, it was all about you, for you,and his charm,wit, and knowledge are refreshing and you can't but not, walk away enlightened at the very least. I give him a #10!!!!

long term patient.helped with my marriage counseling-then my divorce. excellent communicator. top of his field.he has had a major impact on my life.

Dr. Arthur L Smith III is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Alpharetta, GA.