Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Avanish Patel
Dr. Avanish Patel, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Harbor City, CA, with another office in Harbor City, CA. He has 27 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Patel is affiliated with Kaiser Fdn Hosps - Harbor City & Carson, Bellflower Medical Center and Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Bellflower. He speaks English.
Dr. Avanish Patel has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
Doctor went months and months and months ignoring my failed gall bladder. Kept telling me it was just IBS and that I wasn't "Fat Forty Female" and that my gall bladder wasn't an issue (even though I had family history). After 6 months of agonizing pain, I was admitted to the ER with a partial blockage in my gall bladder and bile ducts and went through 3 surgeries and a month long hospital stay. I am still dealing with issues 3 years later. One of the worst experiences I have ever had with a doctor... period. He may be very nice and well educated but he didn't listen to his patient and he didn't treat the symptoms. He used the "IBS card" and just went along on his way.
Dr. Patel is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Kaiser Fdn Hosps - Harbor City & Carson
Bellflower Medical Center
Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Bellflower
27 Years Experience
University of Southern California
Graduated in 1986
Dr. Avanish Patel accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Avanish Patel is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Harbor City, CA.