Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Aviva D Gorig has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Aviva D Gorig has the following 13 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. Aviva D Gorig has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 6
I'd been diagnosed recently at middle age (52) with Bipolar 1 disorder after having been on the same medications for 11 years after a diagnosis of OCD & Dystymic Disorder. The possible drastic change of my mood disorder, said the psychiatry team, may have been that just before their diagnosis, I had been recovering from a bone-marrow transplant and successful cancer battle, all of which are capable of causing neurological changes. Upon visiting Dr. Gorig I'd also been engaged with a Psychotherapist for 9 years. Dr. Gorig embraced all of this information about me with grace, judging nothing, and possessed of a certain curiosity. I could tell from her sensitivity, sense of humor, and feeling of engagement with me that she'd be able to do nothing but help me. I wasn't concerned in any way that I might be harmed, neglected, or treated like a number which is often case in a clinic environment. If I engage her by opening up, she is wide-eyed, sometimes our sessions running long (once to 55 minutes). At this time I couldn't ask for more.
This doctor engaged in a power struggle with my son, a mentally disadvantaged man. She elicited admissions from him and quickly noted on his records, incidents that could be considered slander. She tagged on two additional diagnoses' that contradicted previous ones by the best neuro psychiatrists at NYU. She was quick to judge me as overprotective instead of a concerned parent.
20 Years Experience
State University Of New York Upstate Medical University
Graduated in 1998
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsEast Village Access, 242 E 2nd St, New York, NY
Dr. Aviva D Gorig is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.