Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto has the following 5 expertise
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Eating Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Birth Control
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 31
Staff is rude and unprofessional. Wait times are atrocious. When the Dr finally does show up for your scheduled appointment, she has a bad attitude, like she is daring you to say something about how long you had to wait. Today was the last straw. I needed a refill on a medication and my pharmacy contacted her office yesterday early morning. This is how they have refilled my medications in the past. When I called Dr Akoto's office to inquire about the medication, I was told in an insulting manner that the pharmacy never contacts them for refills, even though the pharmacy has done this at her office in the past. Then I was told I needed to make an appointment before I could get a refill. Because this medication is a benzodiazepine, I could see the reasoning behind this. I made the appointment for the following Monday (this is Friday today) and requested enough medication to make it through the weekend until I could see the Dr. on Monday. She scoffed at me and said the Dr. doesn't do that. I asked her to ask the Dr if it was okay to stop this medication "cold turkey" like that. She acted like I was bothering her, told me she would ask the nurse, and then hung up.Never called back. Now I am facing the weekend without my medication. I am an RN, and I know that you do not just stop benzo's like that, it is dangerous to do. I have 2-12 hour shifts coming up, and I really am hoping I don't experience withdrawal symptoms because I have been on this medication for 3 years.
Dr. Akoto is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
24 Years Experience
University Of Ghana
Graduated in 1994
Wright State University School Of Medicine
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem Blue Preferred HMO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Medical Mutual of Ohio
- MMOH SuperMed POS Select
- MMOH SuperMed PPO Plus
Premier Health Plan
- Premier HealthOne
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsBarbara Akoto, 3300 Philadelphia Dr, Dayton, OH
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Barbara Y Akoto in this video.
Dr. Barbara Y Akoto is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dayton, OH.