Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Barbara L Ponieman has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Clinical Depression
- Mood Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
Showing 5 of 32
The most empathetic psychiatrist I've ever met. She is up to date on current treatment practices, is so thorough that she cross-checks with my other medications even when we're not changing a thing, and individualizes treatment instead of a one-size-fits-all approach. She is gentle, but firm in encouraging the best course of action to optimize medication efficacy *and* safety. Bonus: she will always have an interesting and relevant suggestion if you want or need to expand your horizons for personal growth. The staff is extremely patient and kind as well. My waits are never long. I most literally go out of my way to continue going to her for my maintenance appointments.
I have to admit, I didn't expect anything different than what I found out there over the past 3 years. 30 years ago I was in therapy and happen to fall into the hands of the best of the best in NYC. Six month of therapy with him changed my life forever for the better. Now, things are different and psychiatrist are there just to dispense meds. What I found different with Dr. Ponieman was a caring that I haven't found in anyone. I had major issue, having had Sandy hit my home and business & then cancer, both my husband and I. Well, she is the first Psychiatrist to actually care, listened to what I had to say and is working with me for optimal health. I highly recommend her and I am grateful to have found her.
Dr. Ponieman is quite swift in ascertaining a way to create relief in a patient. Here methods are sound, concrete and bare results. Medication is only as good as the therapy, the administrator and patient willing to better themselves. She achieves success in demonstrating goals and a method on how to reach them with her patients.
26 Years Experience
Universidad De Buenos Aires
Graduated in 1992
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
Dr. Barbara L Ponieman accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsLong Island Jewish Medical Center Phm, 1554 Northern Blvd, Manhasset, NY
Dr. Barbara L Ponieman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Manhasset, NY.