Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Benjamin S Powell has the following 1 specialty
Dr. Benjamin S Powell has the following 3 expertise
- Endoscopy (Endoscopic Surgery)
- Laparoscopic Surgery (Laparoscopy)
Dr. Benjamin S Powell has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 33
I would not suggest this physician to anyone. After a routine gallbladder surgery my wife ended up in ICU from a bile leak. The night I took her to the ER, I called their after hours # several times and the on call doctor never called me back. The whole time wife was in the hospital (10 days) Dr Powell never have an explanation as to what happened and why she almost died.
To my husband and I, Dr. Powell is the BEST surgeon in Memphis! My husband had a complication from another surgeon in Memphis and Dr. Powell was called to fix it. He saved my husbands life and we will forever be grateful. When we said his name around the hospital, the nurses complimented how great of a surgeon we had. At our follow-up visit, the staff was friendly and responsive. We were a bit nervous because there were many people in the waiting room but our wait time was only 10-15 minutes. Dr. Powell has always addressed our questions directly, by calling himself to answer them! When he's busy, his nurse Paula is fantastic. We LOVE Dr. Powell and would recommend him to anyone in need of a general surgeon in Memphis.
Dr. Powell is a wonderful young and upcoming surgeon. Initially I was concerned with the referral to see him. However, after the first meeting I was more than satisfied with him. He was very thorough and explained everything to me in "laymans terms". I would most definately recommend this doctor. Also, Paula (his nurse) has been most helpful and is a very friendly lady. I couldn't have asked for better treatment.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
On-Time Doctor Award (2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Top 10 Doctor - City (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
15 Years Experience
University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2003
Dr. Benjamin S Powell accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TN Blue Network E
- BCBS TN Blue Network S
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry PPO - TN
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Memphis PPOx
- Multiplan PPO
- Qualchoice Statewide Network
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Benjamin S Powell in this video.
Dr. Benjamin S Powell is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Memphis, TN.