Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Benjamin R Smolar
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Monroeville, PA, with another office in Pittsburgh, PA. He has 27 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Smolar is affiliated with Forbes Hospital. Dr. Smolar has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar has the following 20 expertise
- Dementia Related Behavioral Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Seizure Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Movement Disorders
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Primary Headache Disorders
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Migraine Disorder
- Migraine Disorders
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 23
Terrible doctor! He spent less than 10 minutes during my visit at St. Margaret hospital. He didn't listen to my concerns. What kind of neurologist is this doctor? He was more concern to send me for an MRI. After spending $600 of my pocket on the MRI he couldn't give me an answer to my pain. I went for a second opinion and they were able to tell me right away by the symptoms I was having. They say it was TMJ. The MRI wasn't a necessary test and it was totally a waste. Avoid this doctor and the staff. They never called me back to go over the results. I had to wait almost 3 weeks to reach the doctor and took like 3 phone calls to his nurse.
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2016, 2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Smolar is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
27 Years Experience
University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1991
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica HMO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- First Health PPO
- Highmark Community Blue PPO
- Highmark KeystoneBlue
- Highmark PPOBlue
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
UPMC Health Plan
- UPMC PPO
- UPMC Premium Network Plans
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Benjamin R Smolar in this video.
Dr. Benjamin R Smolar is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Monroeville, PA.