Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Bret T Petersen has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Bret T Petersen has the following 22 expertise
- Bile Duct inflammation (Sclerosing Cholangitis)
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Digestive System Cancer
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Biliary Tract Diseases
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Esophageal and Gastric Varices
- Abdominal Pain
- Pancreatic Diseases
- Celiac Disease
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Biliary Tract Cancer
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Endoscopic Sphincterotomy
- Pancreatic Pseudocyst
Dr. Bret T Petersen is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
Dr. Petersen is one of the best physicians I have ever come across. His person bedside manner is excellent. He is caring, compassionate and thorough in all of his explanations and ideas for care. He recently extended my husband's life with creatively doing some alternative procedures as part of his ERCP. He was a master in how he was able to install a third metal stent in his bile ducts and basically created a miracle for both of us. His explanations for what, how and why were very comprehensive and he was so very humble....he is the BEST! We are thrilled to have him treating my husband.
Dr. Petersen is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
37 Years Experience
Mayo Medical School
Graduated in 1981
Mayo Clinic And Medical School
Dr. Bret T Petersen accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
HealthPartners - MN
- HealthPartners MN CareChoices
- HealthPartners MN CentraChoice
- HealthPartners MN Distinctions II
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Preferred One PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Medica Choice
- UHC Options PPO
- WPS Group
Locations & DirectionsMayo Clinic, 200 1st St SW, Rochester, MN
Dr. Bret T Petersen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Rochester, MN.