Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
Learn more about chronic idiopathic constipation including treatment and facts about it.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Hepatitis C Facts about hepatitis C: the signs, symptoms and who is most at risk.
- IBS Facts about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Brian Behm
Dr. Brian Behm, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Charlottesville, VA, with another office in Charlottesville, VA. He has 14 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology. Dr. Behm is affiliated with University of Virginia Medical Center, Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center and UVA HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Brian Behm has the following 1 specialty
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Clinical Research
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopy (Endoscopic Surgery)
- Hepatitis C
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Microscopic Colitis
- Ulcerative Colitis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 12
Dr. Behm is a rare combination of talented doctor and a man filled with genuine empathy for his patients. I saw him over a period of three years for Crohn's/UC. He was very understanding early on that my options were limited by my insurance situation (I didn't have any at the time). I was able to participate in a clinical trial, and therefore benefit diagnostically from the colonoscopies that were part of the trial. We tried all of the "big" drugs, as prednisone was losing its effectiveness. At every step, Dr. Behm was supportive of my opinions and my decision for any drugs or treatment. In the end, it became necessary for me to have a colectomy and opt for the ostomy route --drugs were just not getting me healthy anymore. And even though drugs are Dr. Behm's primary specialty in dealing with IBD, he was again fully behind me for the surgery. Most visits I had with him were brief (this is a teaching hospital, though the resident docs and students I saw were all very good as well). The last few visits I had with him, however, he really went out of his way to take as much time as I needed to go over my options. He even visited me in my hospital room post-op while I was recovering. Without a doubt, over 12 years of having UC, Dr. Behm is the best doctor I've ever had.
I was very disappointed with my first GI doctor and was fortunate enough to get an appointment with Dr. Behm. Since then, I have been there many times for follow up care. His bedside manner, in my opinion, is as good as it gets. He is a very busy guy but he never ever makes me feel rushed during my appointments. He gives more than enough time for me to ask questions. There are times it seems he almost won't let me leave the room until he knows I'm comfortable with the treatment plan. The times he has followed up on tests by phone -- same thing. HE calls... not a nurse.... and takes plenty of time to explain things and answer questions. I can't recommend him more!
Dr. Behm is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
University of Virginia Medical Center
Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center
UVA HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital
University Of Virginia Health System
University of Virginia Medical Center
14 Years Experience
University of Virginia
Graduated in 1999
Dr. Brian Behm accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Brian Behm in this video.
Dr. Brian Behm is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Charlottesville, VA.