Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Brian A Hyman
Dr. Brian A Hyman, MD is a Doctor primarily located in State College, PA, with another office in State College, PA. He has 17 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Hyman is affiliated with Mount Nittany Medical Center. Dr. Hyman has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Brian A Hyman has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Brian A Hyman has the following 9 expertise
- Migraine Disorder
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Migraine Disorders
Dr. Brian A Hyman is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 17
I'm sure there are other patients with more critical needs than me, but he makes you feel you are the only person he is interested in. For sure, neurology is a grand puzzle especially to the stroke patient who can't figure out where those rotten little clots come from. Leave the puzzle to Dr. Hyman.
I can't review Dr. Hyman professionally, because I wasn't able to make a timely appointment for an acute problem. If you call, you get bumped to a call center. The call center can't make appointments with patients - you need to have your GP make the appointment for you, so expect some serious delays coupled with an extended game of phone tag as you try to match your calendar with Dr. Hyman's. The call center was able to tell me he's booked 3 months ahead though. I looked elsewhere.
I have been seeing Dr. Hyman for over a year now to treat my severe migraines. I can understand that we haven't found the right treatment for me yet, but he refuses to prescribe me the only medications that make the pain bearable. I had a lot of faith in him as a doctor but I'm losing it and thinking about finding a new doc. I am failing the third medication to prevent migraines he has tried me on. I just want to get back to my life and work. I think it is great that some doctors are cautious about certain meds, but to not give them when you patient is in severe pain is too far
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Hyman is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
17 Years Experience
Drexel University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2001
Dr. Brian A Hyman accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Capital Blue Cross
- Capital BC Keystone Health Plan Central HMO
- Capital BC PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica HMO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- First Health PPO
Geisinger Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Highmark Community Blue PPO
- Highmark PPOBlue
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
UPMC Health Plan
- UPMC PPO
- UPMC Premium Network Plans
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Brian A Hyman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near State College, PA.