Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Bruce Hershfield has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Bruce Hershfield has the following 8 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Sleep Disorders
Dr. Bruce Hershfield has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Bruce Hershfield is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 4 of 4
Put me on an RX that I had a severe allergeic reaction to. I am hypoglycemic. On this RX, I could eat a large meal, and 15 minutes later, my blood sugar would drop dramactically. He said "thats not in the book". One time I ate lunch, went to my appt, and had a hypoglycemic attack. He had to go into his house, and get me a pear and crackers. After I left that appt, when I got on the I-83, I had another hypoglycemic attack. Pulled car onto shoulder, opened the door, vomited, and had to drive the 15 minutes back home. I dont care what "your book said" - maybe they didnt test patients w/hypoglycemia. After a funeral, my blood sugar dropped so quickly, its the first time I passed out. A Dr. must LISTEN to the patient. I dont care what your books report. Did they ever test patients w hypoglycemia. Quote from Lewis Black "we are all like snowflakes" . We are all made differently.
Dr. Hershfield is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Greater Baltimore Medical Center
42 Years Experience
Upstate Medical University Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Graduated in 1971
University Of North Carolina Health System
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsBruce Alan Hershfield MD, 1415 Cold Bottom Rd, Sparks Glencoe, MD
Dr. Bruce Hershfield is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Sparks Glencoe, MD.