Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Carl D Akin has the following 2 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Heart Block
- Transesophageal Echocardiography
- Myocardial Infarction
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Unstable Angina
- High Cholesterol
- Blood Clot
- Heart Diseases
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Heart Attack
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Failure
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
Dr. Akin is VERY thorough and helpful. My issue is with his staff that was to have sent in a prescription. I went directly to the pharmacy and it was not there so I called and the staff member at Dr. Akin's office specifically said: "I already sent it electronically and it could take up to two hours." We all know that electronic transmissions are immediate. She did not follow through, or she just plain and simple lied to me about even sending it. This was on a Thursday morning. I went out of town and checked that Sunday in the early evening and the script was still not there. They never sent it! I did not get it until 4:00 the NEXT day! This is unacceptable, especially from a cardiologist's office! Highly unprofessional!
Dr. Akin, has been my cardiologist since my bypass surgery in 1991. I was only 44 years of age at the time. I am now 69 years of age. Proof that my Dr. has given me years on my life. His office staff has longevity which tells me that 1. shows loyalty and 2. Staff is treated with great respect and dignity. I only make an annual visit and staff always remembers my name, we all like hearing our name. But what does this say about the staff they take their patients seriously. They want to make you feel welcome.
I've been a patient of Dr. Akin for many years and really cannot say enough good things about him and his office. Everyone is friendly, courteous, professional and knowledgable. I always enjoy seeing him and feel really confident with his care as my cardiologist.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
45 Years Experience
University Of Kansas School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1973
St Lukes Hospital
Dr. Carl D Akin accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem MO Blue Preferred Options
- Anthem MO Direct Access w/HSA
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
BCBS Kansas City
- BCBS KC Preferred Care Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna MISSOURI NET - NET POS Seamless
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry KS PPO
- Coventry MO HMO POS
- Coventry MO PPO
- Coventry OA EPO Exchange - KS/MO
- CoventryOne PPO Network
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Carl D Akin in this video.
Dr. Carl D Akin is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Independence, MO.