Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Caroline C Smythe has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Caroline C Smythe has the following 12 expertise
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Mood Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Dr. Caroline C Smythe has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 12
I submitted a review a few days ago but apparently did not click the overall rating, and they reported it as 3 stars. As you will see if you look at the details of that review, they are all 5 stars. This is a 5-star doctor, and the last thing I want to do is lower her score. The rating service does not seem to provide a way to correct an error, so this is my second try.
I have been struggling for some time with a variety of symptoms that just seemed all over the map - depression, anxiety, low energy, and some physical things (like my digestion and itching with no sign of a rash). Dr Smythe wanted to explore the bio-chemical possibilities in my 'treatment'. I put treatment in quotes, because one of the first thing she did was give me some of the power by suggesting dietary changes. Then she also suggested cutting back on my meds a little bit. So many things started to shift early on. I feel soooo much better, and am doing things that I thought were history. Even the dark (really dark) circles under my eyes are mostly gone. Who would have predicted that? I do best when I can understand something intellectually, so I love that she actually educates me about what is going on!
Patients' Choice Award (2013, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
34 Years Experience
Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1984
Medical University Of South Carolina
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsWhole Health Psychiatry And Nutrition, 212 Scott St, Mount Pleasant, SC
Dr. Caroline C Smythe is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Mount Pleasant, SC.