Have you seen Dr. Carolyn Y Shih?

She is the best Ophtalmic surgeon. She has done two cataract surgeries for me and both have been successful, without any pain or more efforts.

She is the best Ophthalmic surgeon. She has done two cataract surgeries for me and both have been successful, without any pain or more efforts.I wish her best of luck.

The Worst!

Rarely have I ever encountered a doctor as smug and arrogant as this one! She is so lacking in social skills and human decency, it is abysmal. She is one of those 'doctors' who has ZERO regard or respect for her patients and speaks in the most condescending, uncaring manner - and of course, completely dismisses whatever the patient says, deeming herself to be of supreme knowledge and thereby, sees her patients as absolute idiots. Well, in my case - she committed the cardinal sin of grossly Misdiagnosing my condition - and insisting I take medication that only exacerbated it! My questions and objections were totally brushed off with blatant disregard and arrogance. When I asked her what she was basing her diagnosis on, expecting to hear an explanation of my symptoms - she tersely responded thru a forced smile, "my experience". After enduring the agonizing condition for weeks which was severely damaging my vision - and having my requests denied and ignored by her - I finally went to a much more experienced ophthalmologist who quickly negated her diagnosis - and properly diagnosed me with the Exact condition that I had been saying all along!! That's right, me, the lowly 'know-nothing' patient was absolutely Correct - and she/Shih, the big-shot Columbia-trained md who thinks the world of herself was 1000% WRONG! And with just ONE drop of the new medication - which BTW I had been begging her to prescribe for me but she repeatedly refused - my condition improved Immediately and dramatically! And because Shih let my bad condition persist for so long - it made the recovery process a very long and difficult one, from which I am still dealing with long-term consequences. I can NEVER EVER forgive this Brat for what she put me through! It was completely Unnecessary - and a clear situation of a doctor putting her overblown ego and reputation before her patient's well-being. I am writing this to implore patients to NOT be impressed by her credentials - or a staff that is beholden to her as the resident 'expert'. Believe me, she is NOT ! Shih is a Nightmare!! Go to ANYONE else! She obviously does not have the skills to support such a cold, hardened, egotistical attitude. In other words, Shih isn't half as good as she thinks she is!!

Read if considering LASIK with this doctor

Dr. Shih is a callous, unfeeling and unprofessional. She is more concerned about preserving a pristine track record than caring for her patients. I had the misfortune of receiving LASIK treatment from her. A procedure which she was over 45 minutes late for without offering so much as an apology . Following the procedure I experienced both pain and vision difficulties. When I suggested that I might need glasses she vehemently denied the possibility and her staff bolstered her contention with what can only be described as a sham of a refractive test. When two independent optometrists established that I did need glasses her response was in essence: I was the aberration suffering from early vision decay. She labelled the discoloration that stills remains from a hemorrhage that occurred during the LASIK procedure as a nevus, and refused to look at close up pictures taken of my eye on the same day as the procedure, but just prior to it, which would have clearly refuted her claim. However, this was not the worst of it. During the first six months after the procedure Dr. Shih attributed the pain that I was experiencing to healing effects. When they could no longer be attributed to healing effects she flatly dismissed them. I have since sought other medical opinions and learned that the pain is ophthalmologically related and had Dr. Shih simply cared to apply her expertise she could have spared me over a year of agony. Right now, my primary concern is to continue with my treatment but I would be remiss if I did not warn others not to make the same mistake. I was taken in by her credentials and a staff that was eager to allay any concerns, and available to answer any questions prior to the procedure, but once my payment for the procedure went through I was no longer worthy of the good doctor’s time and consideration.

She is arrogant, cold and dismissive: horrible bedside manner. Please seek medical attention elsewhere.

Best doctor

I was diagnosed with cataracts. They came on quickly and the right one totally occluded my vision. I was recommended to Dr Shih by my niece (who had her eye saved by Dr Shih). As I am a big chicken, I was so worried about the surgery. Well let me just say, Dr Shih and her Northshore team were wonderful. From the first visit, through the surgery and follow up, I was treated with compassion and respect. Dr Shih knows her stuff, is very direct but when you need some extra time or have questions, she doesn't make you feel as if you are stupid or wasting her time. I would recommend her.

Great doctor

I found Dr. Shih to be a very compassionate and caring doctor. I had a rare and serious eye infection that took long time to diagnose and treat. Dr. Shih was persistant on getting the correct diagnosis and explained everything every step of the way. She listened to my concerns and included me in the plan of care. Dr. Shih quickly re-adjusted any changes in my medications based on my response to the meds and always explained how to take the meds correctly. She is quick during her visit but always has time for questions, makes you feel at ease and is never condescending if you need further explanation. I would highly recommend her as a doctor.

Best LASIK doctor ever

Dr. Shih is the best doctor I have ever seen. She is very straight-forward, gives an honest assesment (never feel like she is in it just for the money), and treated me very well trhoughout the LASKIk process. She talks you through the process every set of the way. Her and her assistant, Brianne, made sure I was at ease the entire time, and made me feel like I mattered to them. They are affiliated with North Shore hospital so the procedure could be more expensive than most places, but you get what you pay for. In my case it was a hassel free experience with tremendous results. SHE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Dr. Carolyn Y Shih is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Great Neck, NY.

Dr. Carolyn Y Shih Is this you?