Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Cary S Shakespeare Jr has the following 1 specialty
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Pelvic Exam
- Hot Flashes
- Child Birth
- Women's Health
- Birth Control
- Menstrual Pain
- Pap Smear
Showing 5 of 47
I do not think he is a bad doctor. but he needs to learn how to speak decently to pregnant women, for sure. Maggie in the office is great. the only person I'll miss from there. Its a clean office. sometimes gets packed though, and appts run over. He spends about 5 seconds with you on a regular visit. which usually consists of " heartbeat sounds good, see you in X weeks" Do yourself a favor and find out his "Guidelines" before you ask any questions, otherwise hes extremely rude. He induces at 39 weeks, no matter what. cant do a Vbac with him, or even Try for labor to start on your own. If baby isnt here by 39, hes inducing. He has his reasons, and i get that. but i dont agree with how concrete his rules are. women are different. Could we wait a few days? is it not up for discussion at all? He wouldn't hear anything I had to say. Im not ok with that and i wish i had known way before 28 weeks so i could have a chance to find someone else. Also you may need to ASK if your pregnancy is high risk, since he wont actually tell you. Apparently my previous pregnancy was high risk. but nobody told me that...? so that was his justification for induction last time. Just learning new things about him that i didnt know before. Like i said, i dont think hes a bad doctor, He is competent. but he doent listen, there is no room for communication at all. and i cant feel safe with my doctor if theres no respect of my concerns and wishes.
I had agreed to a csection because I thought that was my only option. When I found a clinic that wanted to review my records to see if I was a good candidate for vbac I signed a release. Someone from Dr. Shakespeare's office called me the next day and threatened to drop me as a patient if they sent the records to the clinic because they were "assuming" I wanted to transfer care. Although I told them several times I wasn't. I explained I didn't have another doctor and I would be left without prenatal care if they did that. I asked if "I" could pick them up myself and they said NO because they knew my intentions and if I wanted MY records I needed to give an explanation to Dr. Shakespeare why I wanted them. Today I saw him and he was upset I didn't tell what I was doing before I signed the release. He started raising his voice and told me he wasn't going to waste his time on someone "looking around". Although I tried to explain this was just a second opinion so I can make an informed decision. He also kept saying I had agreed to the csection. I also told him I've worked with doctors before and I never question their reason why they want their records and he said it was ridiculous. His practice and policies are ridiculous.. I have NO need to explain why I want MY records and I am entitled to make an informed decision on something as big as a major surgery. I am no longer his patient because I dared look into my options.
Dr. Shakespeare is fantastic at what he does.If you want a dr who is truthful and straight forward then this is your guy. He doesn't beat around the bush or sugar coat it. You can tell that he has a lot of knowledge and really knows his stuff. His staff has always been friendly and very fast with getting patients in rooms. They have a lab technician on site so you don't have to make an appt or go somewhere else for blood work. Also, the ultrasound is done in the office, which I like because I hate have to make additional appts at other sites. I did put 1 star on Follows Up After Visit because I've never received a call. However, he does ask at the next about about what has been going on since the previous visit and how am I feeling. Everyone will have a difference experience and it's all based on personal preference.
In 2000, I was pregnant with my 4th baby, doctor's visits were routine... I seen Dr. Shakespeare at every appointment... He always explained everything to me... There were no complications during the pregnancy... Until the day I went into labor, (December 14, 2000 @ 38 weeks), Dr. Shakespeare was "on vacation" so his partner (other doctor) was there to deliver my baby... Had to have an emergency c-section that was unsuccessful because my daughter was stillborn... Worst most terrifying experience of my life... Next day, Shakespeare and the other doctor comes to my room to talk with me and the point they kept reiterating was that I "could try to have another baby any time I wanted to... Some times it helps grieving parents to get pregnant again, right away.... Blah, blah, blah..." I was appalled and stunned... Worst piece of advice ever...
30 Years Experience
Loma Linda University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1988
West Virginia University Hospital
Dr. Cary S Shakespeare Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Cary S Shakespeare Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Bakersfield, CA.