Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
About Dr. Charles Winans
Dr. Charles Winans, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Burr Ridge, IL, with another office in Chicago, IL. He has 52 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Winans is affiliated with The University of Chicago Medicine. He speaks English.
Dr. Charles Winans has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Charles Winans has the following 12 expertise
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Endoscopy (Endoscopic Surgery)
- Esophageal Achalasia
- Esophageal Diseases
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Stomach Cancer
- Swallowing disorder (Deglutition Disorder)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Dr. Charles Winans has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Charles Winans is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 4
20 years ago Dr Winans diagnosed me with high grade dysplasia throughout over 75% of my esophagus. I was revered to him by Dr Doudorekas, who told me I needed a better Dr than he. Dr Winans had a reputation for being rough & gruff. I found him to be just the opposite. He thoroughly explained to my husband & I what needed to be done. He even offered to hold an after hours teaching session for any of the rest of my family. He then introduced us,personally, to Dr Mitchell Posner who did my esophajectomy on 2/28/98. I needed to keep coming back afterwards to have the new "esophagus" dialated a little at a time. At the first one I had an allergic reaction to one of the medications. Dr Winans was very upset & personally administered a antidote. He sat with my sister & I to make sure it was working. When we were ready to leave he pushed my wheelchair to the entrance where my sister picked me up. His kindness & gentle treatment of me stays with me. He was,along with Dr Posner, the best Drs. I have ever been treated by. I have had cancer 4 times & 14 major surgeries. I should contact him since they had no idea how long this surgery would work without requiring more intervention. Well it's 20 years, I can eat if I chew really well, I can talk,which I do very well. I would love to give him a huge hug and thank him for saving my life.
God Blessed us with an extraordinary Doctor. Word cannot express how my family feel to have had Dr.Charles Winans as our Mom's Dr. My only wish is that if I ever got sick I hope to have a Doctor like him. If there were 10 stars I would give him all 10. He was always curtious,professional, truthful, just excellent. "We love you Dr." when another Doctor said my mom would be dead in a month. Dr Winans gave us 10 more years trying everything possible to keep her with us. All I can say is Thanks, and that does not seem to be enough. we were lucky.
Dr. Winans is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
The University of Chicago Medicine
52 Years Experience
Case Western Reserve University
Graduated in 1961
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Charles Winans is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Burr Ridge, IL.