Get the facts about skin cancer, including the different types and symptoms.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Alopecia Alopecia facts; different types of hair loss & what can cause it.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Facial Wrinkles and Lines Find out what causes facial wrinkles and lines.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Non-Healing Wounds Facts about non-healing wounds, including different types & causes.
- Psoriasis Learn about the symptoms of different types of psoriasis.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Charles R Smalling Jr has the following 2 specialties
A dermatologist is a doctor who has extensive training and knowledge of the skin, scalp, hair and nails and treats conditions that affect those areas. These doctors will evaluate any abnormality, blemish or lesion on the skin in order to determine the cause and will determine a course of treatment.
Dermatologists provide patients with full body scans in order to identify any signs that are indicative of an illness that requires treatment, such as skin cancer. These specialists may also provide cosmetic services, such as mole removal, scar diminishing treatments and even botox and face lifts.
A dermatopathologist is an expert in both dermatology and pathology. They specialize in diseases related to the skin, but where a dermatologist would examine a potentially-cancerous mole by looking at it, a dermatopathologist would examine your skin cells in a lab, more like a pathologist.
Beyond just skin cancer, dermatopathologists also study a wide range of skin conditions, including everything from warts, moles, spider veins and herpes, to dermatitis, rashes, vitiligo and other conditions related to skin discoloration.
Dr. Charles R Smalling Jr has the following 11 expertise
- Basal Cell
- Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
- Actinic Keratosis
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Biopsy
Dr. Charles R Smalling Jr has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 1 of 1
I was days away from going out of the country and went to Holzer Urgent Care in Athens for a strange rash, which they were concerned was shingles. They sent me upstairs to Dr. Smalling, who spent approximately 20 seconds with me, said "this isn't shingles" and left the room. No time to let me ask a single question or, say, what it WAS or anything. The nurse came back to say I was free to go and I said "well I guess if I have questions I'm out of luck then?" Her: "Oh. Do you want me to have him come back?" Ugh. At the time I was uninsured and when I went to pay I was so upset at 1) how much they wanted to charge, especially based on the time he spent with me and 2) how I was treated. Thankfully they saw how upset I was and agreed to waive the incredibly expensive office visit charges. I believe he has left the Athens area, but I would never go see him again.
21 Years Experience
University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1997
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsTri-Cities Outpatient Surgery Inc, 1009 N State of Franklin Acces, Johnson City, TN
Dr. Charles R Smalling Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Johnson City, TN.