Dr. Clarence Chen Is this you?

3.2

Dr Chen

Dr Chen was so helpful to me through very challenging times, I'm sensitive with medication and he always has worked with me to get it just right. I so appreciate all of his patience, kindness and hard work!!!

Recovery

I'm in recovery from alcohol and substance abuse. I work a program that relies heavily on a religious belief. Seeing Dr Chen weekly has helped me understand that my recovery journey has been a gift and to not get to caught up in how I recover but simply enjoy being in recovery . That their is no " one way" . I have seen him for our talk therapy sessions every week of my two years now in recovery and it helps me tremendously to be able to talk openly and honestly about things I don't feel comfortable talking about in my program.

Great experiences

I was referred to Dr. Chen by my psychologist, and have had a great experience with him. I am currently in recovery, and he listened to my concerns about certain medications I was on. We were able to develop a plan based on my needs and concerns, and I have felt well ever since. I was able to get right in to see him when I needed, and find him to be very kind and compassionate. I plan on continuing to see Dr. Chen as my primary psychiatrist.

Doctor's Response

Thank you for your kind review. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with others. I do try to understand each patient's individual concerns and arrive at an appropriate plan. I am always pleased to hear that my care has made a difference in a patient's life. Thank you for letting me know that I have helped you. I wish you peace and good health in 2015!

Terrible experience

When I mentioned that I grew up in a household witnessing domestic violence, Dr. Chen's immediate and only response was that this was common in my part of the country. Very callous. He also asked me my salary on numerous occasions when I had made it quite clear that this had no bearing on treatment since I have more than adequate insurance and paid my co pay at the time of the visit. Having read the above, please make your own judgement about this doctor.

I find Dr Chen to be very compassionate and he has helped me a great deal. I continue to see him even though I'm paying out of pocket because my health insurance has a $3000 deductible. It's money well spent. He is always very flexible making appointments so it is always convenient for me.

Excellent Doctor

Dr. Chen is always listening, very understanding and very perceptive. He has helped me work through many experiences and is an excellent psychiatrist. He has years of experience working with addiction and recovery and I would lhighly recommend him.

Doctor's Response

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is true that I have years of experience in the area of addiction and recovery and I am happy that you have success working through the issues underneath your addiction. Best wishes for your continued sobriety and good health.

Milked my insurance carrier and depleted my insurance

I went to Dr. Chen for 2-3 visits until I realized that he charged my insurance company for visits that didn't happen--thereby using up my annual allowance for mental health services. When I questioned him, he became argumentative and referred to his business card, which says something like "kindly give 24 hours notice to cancel an appointment." Sleazy.

Doctor's Response

I'm not certain as to who you may be, if you would like clarification on our cancellation policy, please call the office and we would be glad to help. As of January 2013, there is no longer any limit on the annual allowance of mental health visits.

very compassionate at first

...but after a while it he just became annoyed at me for not getting better. once i adjusted to the meds he gave me, it became clear that they were causing problems with my weight, cognition and sleep. I explained this but he kept trying to add mood stabilizers to my already crazy cocktail of meds. I missed an appointment due to the cognitive problems I was having and he labeled me "noncompliant" Then I was left to come off the meds on my own; 20 lbs heavier, and I have never felt more alone in the battle for my health than I do now.

He's very cold and judgmental

Do NOT go to this doctor!

Worst psychiatrist I've ever encountered in my life. He's absolutely in a wrong profession. Judgmental, rude, not caring or compassionate in ...

Experienced, thorough.

I went to see him b/c I was in a slump - a little depressed. He wanted to medicate me upon the first visit! When I did take the meds, I had such a bad reaction to it (heart palpitations, teeth clenching, dizziness, nausea, tightness around the brain, trembling so bad I was unable to physically function) because the dose was too high, he told me I should continue taking it anyway. I literally thought the meds were going to kill me.

Dr. Clarence Chen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.