More than 22 million Americans of all ages have asthma. Prepare to talk to your doctor about symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Grass Pollen Allergy Get the facts about grass pollen Allergy.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Clarence L Shields Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Sports Medicine
A sports medicine specialist is a physician who is trained to diagnose and treat injuries and conditions caused by participation in athletic activities.
These doctors are generally employed by professional sports teams to care for the athletes who are injured. They have extensive knowledge of the types of injuries that athletes are most susceptible to, such as stress fractures, sprains, concussions, muscle cramps, ACL injuries, and shin splints.
It is the responsibility of sports medicine specialist to clear athletes to return to the playing field when they are deemed fit. These doctors also advise athletes on how to avoid injury through proper care of their bodies while training.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Knee Osteoarthritis
Showing 5 of 9
I went to see Dr. Shields for my knee that had already been reconstructed once. It had been 10 years since its reconstruction and I took a bad step chasing a fly ball in left field. Damaged my meniscus some more along with the articular cartilege at the end of the femur. Dr. Shields gave it to me straight and said I need to preserve what I have left and not do high impact activities. He did all that could be done and my knee is as good as it can be considering the damage that's within. Dr. Shields has always been accessible to me. He's very friendly, professional, and he exudes extreme competence and intelligence. I have already recommended him to a colleague who can attest to Dr. Shields being an excellent doctor. I will continue to see Dr. Shields for any issue I might have in the future. There might be some rare equals, but none better than him.
Took my mother here to get her shoulder checked out. Every other doctor we went to wanted to immediately start "cutting". Dr. Shields was very thorough and professional. He wanted to make sure that surgery was the last option and gave us other options to pursue meanwhile. He has great warmth and compassion for his patients, which is pretty rare for a doctor these days. The only negative is the hour wait we usually have to deal with when seeing him, despite having an appointment.
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2010)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2010, 2014, 2011)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Shields is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
- Creighton University School Of Medicine
Lac Usc Medical Center
Dr. Clarence L Shields Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsKerlan Jobe Orthopedics, 6801 Park Ter Ste 400, Los Angeles, CA
Dr. Clarence L Shields Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Los Angeles, CA.