Contact Lens Care
A complete overview of what you need to know about your contact lenses.
- Chronic Dry Eye Facts about chronic dry eye, including the causes, symptoms & doctors.
- Contact Lens Care A complete overview of contact lenses.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Macular Degeneration Get the facts about macular degeneration.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Colin A Scher has the following 1 specialty
An ophthalmologist has the training to do much more than just prescribe glasses. They are physicians specially trained to diagnose and treat disorders of the eyes and vision. These doctors are experts on the complicated anatomy of the eye and are trained to treat eye diseases through both medical and surgical methods.
Some common conditions that ophthalmologists treat are cataracts, glaucoma, strabismus, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration and amblyopia. In addition, ophthalmologists can provide prescriptions for eye glasses and contact lenses and perform LASIK surgery and other corrective surgeries for refractive errors like myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness), astigmatism and presbyopia.
Dr. Colin A Scher has the following 10 expertise
- Lazy Eye (Strabismus)
- Vision Issues
- Lasik Surgery
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Eye Pain
- Eye Exam
- Macular Degeneration
Dr. Colin A Scher has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Colin A Scher is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 20
This is my first review online for a Dr, first because I don't particularly value anonymous reviews- the whole process can be manipulated and too often consumers are ill informed, or have their own issues- its understandable that parents are upset, and sometimes well informed or not, they project those onto others. Our own experience has been exceptional with Dr Scher. He is highly regarded by other Drs, and its clear from the detailed questions I asked, that he cares, and knows what he is talking about. He can be a bit brusque "seeming" because I think of his accent, and busy practice. The only downside is dealing with his office staff, who like many doctors offices, get busy and have to deal with cranky parents, and they can have a bad day. Also, Childrens Hospital, like all providers under the last couple years of the mess that is ObamaCare, are changing and its been difficult at times, for their right hand to know what the left is doing- a common problem in large institutions. We wait for appointments and keep them, to be sure we get the best Dr we can. I see he serves a lot of Medicare patients, too- and that can be a problem, in terms of efficiency and accuracy and understanding, of basic things, from the patient perspective.
Having an eye disorder is hard I am now 19 years old & I've had thee worst childhood because of it. When people go to the doctor it is to ask questions & get opinions on what's best for them he just completely shut me down & did not care at all ! He may be a great surgeon but he needs to work on his people skills BIGTIME !
Dr Scher should be working in a research lab, away from human patients, and not in a practice dedicated to ill children and concerned parents. Overtly narcissistic is an understatement when describing his style - he is above answering questions! The entire practice hurts when one doctor behaves like that; we are moving to another location altogether!
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
41 Years Experience
University Of Cape Town
Graduated in 1977
University Of Pennsylvania Health System
Dr. Colin A Scher accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Basic HMO
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Vitalidad Plus CA con Aetna
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Priority Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
Sharp Health Plan
- Sharp Health Blue Choice
- Sharp Health Gold Value
- Sharp Health Performance
- Sharp Health Premier
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Colin A Scher, MD - Ophthalmology in San Diego, CA, in this video.
Dr. Colin A Scher is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Diego, CA.