Dr. Cristian Brotea Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Cristian Brotea?

He's honest and capable.

This review will contain abbreviated and detailed versions of my experience with Doctor Cristian Brotea. Abbreviated Review I suffered from a condition called Spondylolisthesis. Doctor Brotea identified it, and proposed a solution. He explained the procedure, the desired outcome, and the risks. I agreed to the procedure. Aside from the expected, and difficult, 4 week recovery time for the surgery, it was successful. He was available for questions for weeks after the surgery, and never left me wondering about the recovery process. I am very pleased with his skill and professional attitude. Detailed Review I was suffering from chronic back and sciatic pain for over a year. Bulging discs were reported to be the problem. Physical therapy had no effect. I was eventually referred to Doctor Brotea who told me that the real issue was Spondylolisthesis, which is a condition where a vertebra slides out of place. He suggested the following procedure: The degenerative disc in between L4-L5 had to be removed, a spacer would be put in, the surrounding vertebrae would be stabilized with screws, and cadaver bone would be placed around it to encourage the bones to fuse together. Additionally, the ligaments in the area, which had grown abnormally thick, and were interfering with the nerves there, had to be trimmed back. He explained the procedure in detail. He explained the risks. He explained that he couldn't guarantee that the effected nerves weren't already damaged, and that the pain might not go away. He also explained that since the pain wasn't constant, he felt that it was worth attempting. The last thing he mentioned is that the recovery would take 3-4 weeks for the surgical wound to heal, and months for the fusion to be complete (if it ever did fuse). I opted for the surgery, and immediately felt relief from the original pain. I'm certain that everyone has a different experience with recovery, but it was very painful for me, and it required a few different prescriptions to manage. Still, Doctor Brotea continued to advise me regarding the healing process and pain management. Several weeks later: I am now mostly free of back pain, and sciatic pain. During recovery, I developed an IT band issue, which hurts my knee, and hindered my rehab (lots of walking), but I don't think that problem can be associated directly with the surgery. Overall, my husband and I are very pleased with Doctor Brotea's service, and we are very grateful to him.

Thank GOD for Dr. Brotea. I'm walking and the scar is neat and healed well

Rushed Appointment

I've seen Dr. Brotea a number of times for a few conditions. Besides having to wait over an hour, I felt he was very rushed and did a terrible exam. I'm still in extreme pain and not sure where to turn.My symptoms and conditions were not well explained nor did he take more than 30 seconds to examine me. Since he was my third surgeon to speak with and been in pain for many years; but felt it did not have any bearing since this was only the first time I saw him. Not happy and will seek advise elsewhere

I found Dr. Brotea to be the most amazing doctor! He is very informative, he took the time to explain exactly what he would be doing to correct my spinal stenosis. He is the most caring, competent surgeon who took away the pain I was suffering for years. He visited me every day I was in the hospital and he has a wonderful bedside manner. I was up and walking without any walker or cane the very next day after major surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Brotea.

Former Nurse Technician

Dr. Brotea is very dedicated to his profession. I am being treated by him because of spinal and cervical radiculopathy, due to injuries sustained while working as a nurse's assistant. I actually had to have surgery a few months ago at Montefiore Hospital in New Rochelle, and he was there everyday with a smile on his face checking to make sure I was okay. Obviously, I was in a lot of pain, but seeing him smile actually made me smile. Also, everyone at Montefiore who I came in contact with while I was there had only wonderful things to say about him.

Dr. Brotea is an excelllent surgeon and very responsive patient needs.

Perhaps, the most compassionate, attentive, empathetic, knowledgeable, engaging doctor and surgeon I have ever met. These adjectives do not adequately describe the trust a patient feels when you are in his care. Dr. Brotea is the quintessential doctor. He performed lumbar fusion surgery on me and what could have been an extremely frightening experience was made far more comfortable than expected because of his presence and commitment. His manner with patients is very easy going and he is always accessible for questions both in office and via phone calls. He spends as much time with a patient as you deem necessary. I highly recommend him to anyone seeking an amazing doctor.

Sciatica nerve ,budging disk and replace with screws.

The best spine surgeon. Hands of an Angel. A beautiful job done. Well done

He took my pain away

Dr. Brotea saved me (a 47 year old male) after 4 years of excruciating chronic pain: on a scale of 0 - 10, my pain was 19. My quality of life was horrid. Walking was becoming impossible. 11 months following Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery I continue to live free of chronic pain. Dr. Brotea's approach was personal and humane: he was patient and detailed in describing the procedure. His commitment to ensuring that I understood the procedure in detail, contributed to how comfortable and confident I was going into surgery. I do not know another doctor like him. Of the 6 plus doctors that I have been to over my years of pain, Dr. Brotea is the only doctor I actually enjoy going to visit.

I took my adolescent sister to see Dr. Brotea for her severe scoliosis. He was wonderful! Typically doctors these days spend 3 minutes with you and the rest of the time you spend waiting in the office. Although there was a significant wait time it was so worth it. Dr. Brotea spent time listening to her history, carefully examining her, and explaining the brace he was prescribing that had to be worn 23 hours a days. My sister is now out of the brace and her back curve has significantly decreased. Thanks to Dr. Brotea we avoided having to take her through a major surgery. I would highly recommend him to anyone!