Your bladder is the hollow, muscular organ in your lower belly where urine is stored. When you urinate, the muscles of your bladder contract and push urine out through a tube called the urethra. Bladder cancer starts when cells in the bladder start to grow out of control. These cells can form into a bladder tumor. They can also spread outside your bladder to lymph nodes and to structures far from the bladder, like your bones, lungs or liver. This is known as metastasis.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Head and Neck Cancer Facts about head and neck cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Long Beach, CA, with other offices in Long Beach, CA and Fountain Valley, CA (and 1 other location). He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery) and Vascular Surgery. Dr. Bethencourt has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt has the following 2 specialties
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery)
- Vascular Surgery
Vascular surgeons treat and manage disorders in your veins, arteries and your lymphatic system to ensure blood circulation in your heart and in brain is the best it can be. They're well-versed on how your vascular system works with the rest of your body and they can treat conditions that may cause blockages or buildup.
They can perform many of the same diagnostic testing as interventional radiologists can, such as angiography and MRIs. In addition to diagnosis, they provide critical care and treatment for aneurysms, artery blockages and trauma injuries that involve your veins. They can also help patients manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol as well as treat artery disease. Treatment for more serious cases might include bypass surgery or surgery to remove plaque.
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt has the following 11 expertise
- Cataract Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Varicose Veins
- Eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- Diabetes Complications
- Vascular Malformations
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 23
I'd give him 6 stars if I could for my triple bypass in 2003
Dr Bethencourt was refered to me by two very dear friends that said if they ever had to have heart surgery he would be the one to do. He and his staff where very good to me, I traveled from CO to CA to have my surgery performed and I have no regrets. Thanks Dr Bethencourt for giving me a new lease on life!
I am sincerely sorry that the surgical procedures on the 85-year old woman reported in an earlier rating went so wrong.Two matters in that report bother me. First, why would a cardiologist recommend such a major surgery in this instance unless the situation was almost hopeless? Second, I was not aware that heart valves could be replaced via scope access: repair - yes, replacement - ?My experience (at age 70) with this surgeon was absolutely the opposite. He took considerable effort and time to explain my options for mitral valve repair/replacement (as dictated his judgement during the surgery) and for the surgical Maze to cure or improve my A-Fib. Included were his opinions of the less-invasive approach vs. median sternotomy in my situation.My surgery and recovery went quite well (not that it was pleasant). My mitral valve was repaired, but the surgical Maze didn't totally resolve my A-Fib. Throughout, Dr. Bethencourt was very professional plus being solicitous of me as a person.
My mother's cardiologist recommended a valve replacement using a scope procedure. She was 85. Bethencourt convinced my mother to do an open chest surgery, including a MAZE procedure, saying she'd "be a new woman." Unfortunately, she did not go back to the cardiologist for confirmation. She never fully recovered from the open chest procedure, and died last month. Who knows what would have happened with the scope procedure, but an extensive open chest on an 85 year-old seems risky at best. I would have preferred a surgeon who worked more closely with the cardiologist.
Dr. said that he could "separate" muscle tissue to do surgery without cutting the tissue; "his new technique". During my recovery, I found that he did cut through the muscle tissue and had not used this separation technique at all, leaving me with a upper back muscle that has ached and spasmed off and on for nearly 20 years. Tired of hurting...hope this helps any perspective surgery patients of his.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
39 Years Experience
University Of California Los Angeles David Geffen School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Ucla Medical Center
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Basic HMO
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Vitalidad Plus CA con Aetna
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Priority Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Flex3
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Daniel M Bethencourt is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Long Beach, CA.