Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Darren W Barefield has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A nephrologist is a physician who is specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the kidneys or renal system.
A nephrologist will determine through urine analysis, blood test, X-ray, sonogram, or kidney biopsy how well the kidneys are functioning and will then prescribe a special diet and exercise program, medication or dialysis - a process by which a machine filters the blood when the kidney is no longer capable of doing so.
- Kidney Biopsy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Chronic Renal Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
Showing 3 of 3
Dr. Barefield saw a member of my family in the ICU at olol hospital this week. After already being traumatized by my brother learning of the critical levels of his kidney functions & extremely high blood pressure, Dr. Barefield approached my brother and me with a smile on his face and in a cavialier manner gave us a grim prognosis with the odds of survival like those of The Hunger Games. For those who are familiar with the movie/ movies the odds are basically slim to none.... Obviously he must have missed the course in bedside manners when he so insensitivity spoke to us about my brother's condition. I was appalled by his approach in front of my brother as well as a Resident from the LSU School of Medicine. A staff RN who was also in the room later expressed to me how appalled she was by the manner in which Dr. Barefield spoke to us. I might also add that my brother's blood pressure rose to 210/115 soon after Dr. Barefield left his room. Thank you for reviewing my concern.
28 Years Experience
Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans
Graduated in 1990
Dr. Darren W Barefield accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsDarren Wayne Barefield Md, 7414 Sumrall Dr, Baton Rouge, LA
Dr. Darren W Barefield is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Baton Rouge, LA.